Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Good Linux MMO's
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
neowiz73 Oct 8, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweI'm waiting on Albion Online https://www.albiononline.com/ I really hope it does well.

i've had my eye on this one for awhile myself, been waiting for it to get further in development before giving it a try. looks like it will be a lot of fun though.
I'm also searching for an MMO to play, but the problem is I'm currently bound to use my Chromebook and go with Ubuntu from there. So it should propably on the low end spec wise.
Already went ahead and tried out a few games, but they just didn't appeal to me. I think I'll try out Ryzom in the near future tho ;)
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dunI thought WoW worked flawlessly with Wine. Why not go with that. I'm not a MMO guy myself (does Planetside 2 count?) but from what I gather there are only two types of MMORPG games - WoW and everything else *he said as Guild Wars fans pulled out their knives*.

XD...I've never played WoW and every experience I've ever had with Wine led me to rage quit harder than any game I've ever played. Because Wine. PS2 is a fantastic game although not quite what I was going for.
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweI'm waiting on Albion Online https://www.albiononline.com/ I really hope it does well.

Looks interesting although the fact that it's available on iOS and Android has me a little bit worried it might be lack luster. Then again I don't know much about it I just know Mobile games generally are.
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: Avehicle7887A quick google search brought up this result: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=linux+mmo

I wish there were more native MMOS to Linux, especially considering when they are already released for Mac. As a side note: (Not a Linux native) I currently play Guild Wars 2 with Wine-Staging build, performance is almost always 60fps+ except in really crowded situations but overall everything works.

You and me both. The amount of Linux MMOs is appalling. I know we're second class citizens when it comes to game but it's one of the genres that really really almost doesn't exist on Linux. Maybe it's because they're probably one of the most expensive genres to develop for.
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: neowiz73Ryzom is probably the best overall traditional fantasy MMO that works great and has a native design for linux. It is also open sourced, which is quite interesting. it is also one of the most unique games around. 1 character can master all of the skills/classes and you have the capability to run multiclassed. which is also something not to common.

Planeshift being another fantasy type MMO that seems interesting and more along the traditional EQ sort of gameplay.
many can be found at this website: http://www.lgdb.org/category/subgenre/mmo?sort_by=created

I tried GW2 on Linux awhile back and was able to run it around 50 to 60 fps but it would bog down a lot in WvW. I played GW2 mainly on Windows from the time it was released for about 2 years. Even on windows in WvW if you are in a large battle it will have issues with input lag, but I never really had framerate issues. But one of my all time favorite MMOs. So far their expansion and additional content like the living story has not impressed me much. since they don't charge a monthly subscription to play I was surprised not to see more expansions like they did with GW1. I think the quality of added content would have been better if they concentrated on expansions more.

I hope SOE can surprise me with a Linux compatible client for EQ next. With Steam Machines around the corner and they do have Landmark on Steam. I won't hold my breath but there could be a chance since it's still in early development and we have some time to see how Valve does in the market.

I'm downloading ryzom...why on god's green earth did they use 7z for the archive format. They could have just gone with xz and got the same compression while being a tad more Linux friendly. Oh well.
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: WhyAmISuchABeautifulPandaI'm also searching for an MMO to play, but the problem is I'm currently bound to use my Chromebook and go with Ubuntu from there. So it should propably on the low end spec wise.
Already went ahead and tried out a few games, but they just didn't appeal to me. I think I'll try out Ryzom in the near future tho ;)

Ouch. That kinda sucks. I'm in a somewhat similar scenario. I have an R9 Fury...yay for expensive graphics cards that preform like crap due to poor drivers. I can play most games that are medium speced but I have a hard time running dota 2 at 1080p with the slider set at the second notch. ARK gives me 20 FPS no matter what settings I use. It kinda sucks. Hopefully AMD fixes their drivers soon. Yes it's better than a chrome book by a long shot but still. It's frustrating.
coeseta Oct 9, 2015
QuoteHey there! Steam integration has been coming for a while, Valve was in our office here in Orange County back in January. We are trying to get Wildstar to be THE MMO for Steamboxes, IE, Wildstar will be preinstalled with every system. It should be happening before the China launch that's for sure.

Source

Looks like we might get a native Wildstar client soon, if we are lucky :)
Scoopta Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: coeseta
QuoteHey there! Steam integration has been coming for a while, Valve was in our office here in Orange County back in January. We are trying to get Wildstar to be THE MMO for Steamboxes, IE, Wildstar will be preinstalled with every system. It should be happening before the China launch that's for sure.

Source

Looks like we might get a native Wildstar client soon, if we are lucky :)

O_O...I hope so because I think that's the best looking MMO I've seen mentioned here.
Scoopta Oct 10, 2015
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: coesetaLooks like we might get a native Wildstar client soon, if we are lucky :)
Effing awesome.
Valve personally visiting them to talk about making Wildstar THE Linux MMO, only means that they have some big plans for the future. I can't wait.

I can't wait either. I want a real good MMO on Linux and we just don't really have one.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.