Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Help with DE
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Modofokus Oct 10, 2015
Hello everyone
I want to ask what's the beat DE for gaming on Linux?
My problem is on Debian, the most of my games freeze the DE(Gnome 3.14.3) making me to reboot the system. I tried cinnamon too, but same results but in less proportion.
I just want to decrease the freeze/crash on my system and I'm open if I have to use other distro for a DE.
Thank you and sorry for my bad English.
oldrocker99 Oct 10, 2015
Any of the lightweight DEs will help you out: LXDE (which is in the throes of being ported to QT, and I don't currently recommend), XCFE, which has been improved, and MATE, which is a fork of GNOME 2, and is pretty lightweight, and the DE I prefer. No slowdown of games have I seen.

And your English is just fine; it remains the hardest second language to learn, with the possible exception of Turkish.
Modofokus Oct 10, 2015
Thanks, I will try 'em, but just in case you think my PC is old here are my specs:
GTX 660 Ti
I7 - 3770k
8 GB RAM

Quoting: oldrocker99And your English is just fine; it remains the hardest second language to learn, with the possible exception of Turkish.
English is easy, the problem is that I don't like to use/write/speak it :D for me is the easiest language.

Thanks for the reply.
Avehicle7887 Oct 10, 2015
I'm using MATE desktop for over a year now. It's pretty light on resources, very much bug free and stable overall. Cinnamon has also come along nicely in recent months and it's a great candidate for my 2nd DE of choice.
Spl-it Oct 11, 2015
I never had any game freeze my DE. I've used XFCE, KDE, i3, heck even the god awfull gnome3 doesn't freeze.

Might be a problem not related to your DE.
Liam Dawe Oct 11, 2015
I'm just using Ubuntu Unity, no problems with it, and it's the most supported.
nifker Oct 11, 2015
Try XFCE I have to no problems to play games with it on debian 8 and whats the driver version of your nvidia driver? Try the lastest stable from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
Modofokus Oct 12, 2015
Well thanks everyone for the replies.
I've prove every DE you guys told me, failed stability in all, a game freeze (ex: CSGO, Chilvary, etc.) and I have to do hard reset. Tried other distros (Debian, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu, witch I can say that Ubuntu was the more "stable" ) and the problem still there. I changed my games location from my HDD to another.
My PC components are good, no high voltage or over heat.
I don't know what to do. I have thinking on prove Gentoo or Arch but I don't like the rolling release model.
What you guys think?

PS: Really thankfully for all your help, thanks again :)
Modofokus Oct 12, 2015
Quoting: nifkerTry XFCE I have to no problems to play games with it on debian 8 and whats the driver version of your nvidia driver? Try the lastest stable from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Sorry man didn't saw your reply, I tested from the oldstable driver to the beta one and the problem still there.

Thanks.
Modofokus Oct 13, 2015
Quoting: GuestCould be a bad power supply unit, too.
No, 850 Watts for a system that only consumes 650-570 watts.
Thanks anyway
tuubi Oct 13, 2015
If the problem persists regardless of OS, I'd still put my money on faulty hardware. Doesn't need to be overheating or anything like that, but games and other resource intensive software do expose problems you don't see under normal desktop use. Sometimes the culprit can be really hard to pinpoint, and I speak from experience. The last time this happened to me it took literally months to finally solve. (Turned out that one of the cores in my i7 had stopped working properly for some mysterious reason, resulting in instability when said core came under load.)

Quoting: Modofokus
Quoting: GuestCould be a bad power supply unit, too.
No, 850 Watts for a system that only consumes 650-570 watts.
Thanks anyway
That doesn't mean the power supply cannot be faulty.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.