Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Opinions on Roccat headsets
Hamish Jul 27, 2014
There is currently a massive discount being offered on Roccat headsets at NCIX, so I wanted to see whether or not it would be worth my time and money to purchase one.

The cheaper one is a Roccat Kulo ROC-14-702:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/roccat-kulo-roc-14-702-virtual-7-1-58-73046-1031.htm

For a little bit more I could also get a Roccat Kave ROC-14-500:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/roccat-kave-roc-14-500-real-5-1-2f-63947-1031.htm

Sale ends on the 30th of July, so I would appreciate some word before then.
Hamish Jul 27, 2014
So far I am leaning towards the Kulo rather than the Kave as it seems to be more than I need for the extra $25 dollars, especially since I only have an on-board sound card and am mostly just going to be using the thing to play music and videos with.

View video on youtube.com

The main thing I am looking for is durability, which both the Kulo and the Kave offer to varying degrees.

What games on Linux support surround sound?
HadBabits Jul 27, 2014
I have the Kulo headphones and I'm pretty satisfied :) I'm no audiophile, but the sound quality sounds pretty nice to me, provided you have the roccat-tools package installed. If I have any complaint it's that the ear pads on mine come off pretty easily, so they fall off on occasion when I sit them down.
Hamish Jul 28, 2014
I have settled on the Kulo and purchased it, as well as ordering two more for one of my brothers and my father, as well as two Kaves for my other two brothers. So I guess we will just have to wait and see how well the work. Worst comes to worse we will have just contributed to the coffers of one of the only Linux supporting peripheral manufacturers, so that really can not be construed as being a bad thing.
Hamish Aug 2, 2014
We have now gotten one Kulo and one Kave delivered, one of which I have taken for myself and so far am pretty happy with. The Kulo seems well constructed and, other than being a bit heavy on the base which I expected from a gaming headset, offers good sound quality. My only other complaint so far is the in-line slim remote is a bit stiff at least on first use, but that will probably change over time. The microphone works as expected as does the fold up mute feature.

I have yet to really play with the USB Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound Card.

The Kave that was ordered for my brother unfortunately shipped with a defect, but we paid extra for free return shipping and RMA replacment, and other than that he so far is fairly happy with the sound quality offered and the surround sound worked without a hitch. So far, not too shabby.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.