Love turn-based tactical battles in space? Well the upcoming Relic Space is showing a huge amount of promise and it will be entering Early Access later this year. Briefly mentioned here on GOL recently, it now has plenty more information up along with an actual trailer so you get an idea of what it will be like.
Taking place in the year 2612, Relic Space features more than 30 distinct regions that players can explore by customizing and upgrading their very own ships. Beyond grid-based, tactical turn-based combat familiar to roguelike fans, Relic Space also features a narrative filled with multi-part missions and their accompanying narrative arcs, realistic damage models and physics in space – along with status effects for individual items. Each weapon, engine or utility item can catch fire, leak power, and generally be buffed and debuffed. Equipment items also affect the ship in unique ways – including manual adjustments for heat and energy levels!
“This is a momentous time for Relic Space. The Alpha build is ready, and we just released a brand-new teaser. When I’m able to stop and think for more than a few minutes, I often recall the early days when Relic Space was more of a standard roguelike, with simple 2D graphics. That didn’t last long! My vision for the game soon evolved to actually transcend the genre by including 3D visuals and the narrative depth usually associated with RPGs. That’s the ambitious game I intend to deliver throughout Early Access and beyond.” – Jonah Wilberg (Founder, Fourfold Games)
I've personally played a bunch of the Linux Alpha build provided by Novy PR and it's impressive. They've totally nailed the combat feel, thanks to the movement system and the auto-firing mechanics that do feel as slick as the movement found in Jupiter Hell. After watching through The Expanse series, this is exactly the type of tactical RPG I've been needing.
- Tactical turn-based space combat: “One-tile-per-turn” mechanics inspired by traditional roguelikes.
- Flexible development: Acquire more powerful ships and equip them with countless weapon and utility combinations. Earn new piloting abilities through a flexible skill tree.
- Deep simulation: Realistic combat mechanics simulate damage to individual ship components. Each weapon, engine or utility item can catch fire, leak power, and acquire many more status effects.
- Real space: Movement rules based on actual space physics; motion in a straight line is free – but turning, starting or stopping will cost energy.
- Immersive setting: Uncover a rich, branching narrative threaded with endless procedurally-generated stories in a detailed setting inspired by hard sci-fi.
- Open world: Explore a vast procedurally-generated solar system with handcrafted elements. Factions and NPCs pursue research, trade, construction projects, and other goals apart from you – though your actions do affect their success or failure!
Relic Space will be available on Steam Early Access in Q3 2021. It's not exactly clear if the Linux build will be available on day 1 of Early Access or a little later. Will keep you posted.
You can wishlist and follow on Steam.
See more from me