Time to wander through the Black Forest from your bed, as Valheim now has a fresh update available that was previously in a public Beta to add in gamepad support and work nicely with the Steam Deck. It's the same Beta we wrote about previously but it's now available for everyone.
Want to see it on the Steam Deck? Got you covered:
By default, it appears that Valve picked Proton 7.0-1 for Valheim to run on Deck, even though it has a fully supported and nicely working native Linux version. It's not clear why they picked Proton but there you have it. After doing some testing, I can safely say this is going to be awesome on a Steam Deck. While it has a few performance issues here and there, a lot of games are the same with stuttering when bits load in, which will improve over time. It's comfortable as heck with Deck controls though, the Valheim team did a great job on controller support.
The non-spoiler patch notes include these highlights:
* Suddenly… Frost Caves!
* Anniversary drinking horn added. Skål!Fixes & Improvements:
* Pause function in singleplayer
* Full controller support! (Gamepad legend and alternative glyphs)
* Gamepad text input when running through in steam big picture mode
* UI, settings and Steam Deck fixes
* FPS Limiter and reduced background performance
* Split dialog can take numeric input
* Signs can now be built without a workbench
* Bug fixes and quality of life improvements
* Armour stand now supports atgeirs and shield styles
* Nomap mode tweaks