Aeon of Sands - The Trail is certainly attention-grabbing, with the retro look inspired by old dungeon crawlers mixed with some interesting story-telling where you create your own adventure.
Aeon of Sands – The Trail is a roleplaying game set in a post-apocalyptic desert world. It combines real-time exploration gameplay with classic gamebooks where you create your very own non-linear story adventure.
You play the vain and clumsy Setrani, a simple clerk aspiring to a simple life. But in the post-apocalyptic world of Aeon of Sands, nothing is ever that easy... A single missing caravan will set plans in motion, and seal the fate of our unlikely hero.
Originally released back in December, the developer Two Bits Kid just today reached out to us to mention Linux support is now live! They're officially supporting Ubuntu and SteamOS, with other distributions tested working but not officially supported (fair enough).
- The world of Aeon of Sands may be lethal, but it is not humourless. Think “Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy” meets Interplay's Fallout!
- Emphasis on exploration: the deadly world of AoS is filled with secrets, switches, loot and eccentric characters to meet... or to fight!
- Non-linearity: Follow the story at your own speed, or at your own will.
- Replayability: Do it differently all over, face multiple endings!
- Completely hand drawn 2.5D environment, 240 hand-drawn illustrations
- Auto-mapping, with a writing feature
- Real-time combat, with grid-based tactics
- Organic character's customization: forget xp and levels, stats are likened to the gear you choose and the skills you use.
This looks absolutely awesome, some incredible artwork went into the scenes you see while exploring. I'm hoping to take a closer look at this one, so we may have more detailed thoughts up another day.
You can find it on Steam for £16.99/$19.99/€18.99.