Here's an exciting one for you, Kalypso Media have today announced the Commandos 2 HD Remaster and it's coming to Linux. After acquiring the rights to Pyro Studios’ franchises in 2018, Kalypso Media is starting their E3 with a bit of a bang.
The Commandos 2 HD Remaster is being developed by Yippee Entertainment, with Kalypso Media publishing and they've confirmed right away it will support Linux! They also announced a Praetorians HD Remaster although that will not have Linux support, which is being done by a different developer.
Commandos 2 - HD Remaster Features:
- Re-imagined in HD with reworked controls, modernized UI and overhauled tutorial.
- Interactive environments: steal enemy uniforms and weapons, climb poles, swing from cables, swim, utilize vehicles, and climb in/out of buildings, ships and planes.
- Control nine unique commandos, each with different skills and specializations including green beret, sniper, demolition expert, diver, seductress and thief.
- The Commandos series’ first appearance in a modern 3D Engine: rotate the environment 360 degrees, move seamlessly in and out of buildings, submarines, planes and underwater, and zoom in and out of the environment.
- Authentic WWII scenarios: 10 missions spanning 9 different environments in night and day, with realistic weather effects.
- The choice is yours: how you tackle each mission is up to you. Experiment with skills and weapons in a challenging “against the odds” gameplay style.
- WWII vehicles and weapons, including jeeps, tanks, trucks, ships, bazookas and flame-throwers.
They even put Linux in their trailer, which you can see below:
I'm super excited, I remember the Commandos series really well. Sad they're not going with the original to start with but I will take what I can get. I hope they keep the gameplay mostly as it is, except for obvious upgrades where it's really needed. Classics like this deserve an upgrade but I always get a little worried they might mess with it too much. Will absolutely be taking a look at release!
You can find the Steam page up now. The release date is scheduled for sometime in "Q4 2019".