Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How introduce linux to non-tech people?
Purple Pudding Jul 22, 2016
I'm going to do a presentation for the Linuxday in October with my local LUG and I was thinking to the introduction: what is Linux, why you shuld try it, what you can do, differences with Windows etc...

So, there's a lot to explain, not much time to do it to people who probably barely know how to use a pc and probably find the thing quite boring...

Can you help me with any suggeston for how to present it, the topics and points to show.... any suggestion on anything would be great!

Many thanks!

PP
wolfyrion Jul 22, 2016
You have to choose a good distro with a nice ui(KDE) and preferably a Rolling Release Distro. :P
Rolling releasese always impress users when you say to them that you will never have to format your computer :)

I suggest Manjaro KDE Edition

I dont know how many mins or hours is your presentation so choose wisely what to present

Steps...

1. Introduction
2. Kernel Introduction --> Usage --> Today Devices that are using Linux -> Linux in our Life ( make it short)
3. What is OS --> Windows/Mac/Linux OS
4. Boot up the distro you choose
5. Using Linux is easier than Windows
6. Prove that almost all applications are available on Linux and show how you setup from the repo
(firefox,chrome,Libreoffice and so on other utilites)
7. Prove that all the devices old or new hardware are just plug and play and you dont need any drivers.
8. Explain that you dont need to search for drivers or new software every time that a new release of software or drive is available. Linux will update everything in mins if a newer version is available.
10. Everything is FREE, No licenses and nonsenses , no pirated software , a variety of software to choose.
11. No Virus , No spyware etc . Explain security, no worries
12. Linux/Steam machines will be the future of gaming , yes Linux can play games. Explain! (Vulkan API) short. Maybe Launch a game :P ?
13. Show some fancy Dektop UI with effects etc, KDE has nice effects like Fall Apart,Magic Lamp,wobbly windows. Show KDE Decorations how easily can change the ui etc something that they will say WoW.

Well I can keep talking and talking but I guess you can figure it out , otherwise you can search on youtube for many presentation tutorials :)
whm1974 Jul 23, 2016
Quoting: wolfyrionYou have to choose a good distro with a nice ui(KDE) and preferably a Rolling Release Distro. :P
Rolling releasese always impress users when you say to them that you will never have to format your computer :)

I suggest Manjaro KDE Edition

I agree with the first paragraph, but I would recommend XFCE over KDE as a lot of people I know tend to use older and/or lower end computers.
PublicNuisance Jul 23, 2016
Non tech people probably can't use Windows or Mac much better than they can Linux. I would start there: basically say that if you're going to struggle with your computer why not use the free option that is less likely to get you adware/malware/viruses. I have been building and fixing computers for 12 years now and the vast majority of people are morons who can barely shut down their systems and get online. The best thing you can probably do is allow them to play around with a Linux system for a bit. My wife used to say things like "I wouldn't know how to use Liux". My response was to ask what she wouldn't know how to do. I wouldlet her use my system and ask where she would go on Windows to do that. In most cases it was the same process which helped. If you want to go online your web browser will be on your start menu, desktop or taskbar. If you want to go to your Home folder it's on the desktop and start menu same as Windows. People would be surprised to figure out that a lot of tasks will be pretty much the same. Granted I use Linux Mint which is similar in layout.
whm1974 Jul 23, 2016
Xfce is simple enough that most non-tech folks can easily learn it without too much trouble. Plus it works great on lower end and/or older hardware just fine.
manero666 Jul 23, 2016
the fact that they barely know how to use the Pc is better than have some Window$ cavemen ready to throw shit at Linux (even if they never try it).

If it was me at your place and the people there where cavemen I would talk about how the majority of people are extremely scared of learning something new, of leaving the safe to explore alternatives (Linux), how what people do is extremely controlled by society and ads (like buying a 2000$ Macbook to surf the internet); but that would be a sociological and psychological "presentation" and not what you need..

A good point IMO is to explain the differences between a graphical interface and a command-line interface, and explaining that a GUI has a command under the hood (this may not be clear to everyone).

For example the difference between installing a software on Ubuntu from the software center or through the command line with apt-get, focalizing the cpu-usage, processes needed and ram-usage differences between the 2 methods.
Also by pointing out the huge versatility of the command-line interface, again for example installing 3 software from the software center (let's say firefox, htop and openshot) and then reboot the system (all done by pointing and clicking around with your mouse)
versus open the terminal and typing
sudo apt-get install firefox htop openshot&&reboot
which automates all the process and save you a lot of time
(you can also compare the "go to the website and download the installer" in you want to throw sh*t at Window$)

On youtube you find a lot of videos about "Mom/Dad/Granpa trying Linux", this guy here makes a lot of these videos with her mom installing/comparing/destroying Linux distros and Windoze

View video on youtube.com

they have a very NOICE aussie accent too :)

notice that showing a lady or granpa using Linux can create embarrass in some cavemen (sure there will be at least 1) which is always good :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.