Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What else can i monitor to find bottleneck?
valgusk Jul 30, 2016
Hey guys. I always had nvidia GPU's and never even bothered about performance with it. Recently though I let myself be fooled with the rx480/new OS drivers hype and now I do.

I have tried AMDGPU-PRO drivers and the linux-4.7/mesa-git/llvm-svn combo. Performance is mostly equal in those games that really lag. My biggest concern is Saints Row IV (awesome game, revived linux gaming for me, when was on nvidia). It gets everywhere from (mostly)12 to 80 fps on any settings and the problem is that i do not see what resource is overused. My cpu load stays in 50% most of the time on all cores, gpu load is mostly 40% and up to 80% when fps is high, hdd is 0-7MB/s, all clocks are cranked to max.

Any ideas what other things could I monitor?
This really bugs me, I cannot sleep sometimes, knowing that I do not know reason for why Eon sucks on amd :D Also, for reference - other games like tomb raider/alien/dirt/autosport run perfectly fine, so my system is ok for gaming I guess. Did anyone maybe already investigate this game on radeons?
manero666 Jul 31, 2016
You can check these 2 steam discussions:

SR4 / Gat Out of Hell Live for Linux / SteamOS!
[[LINUX] Saints Row IV Troubleshooting FAQ](https://steamcommunity.com/app/206420/discussions/0/451850020334218520/)

as for tools I don't know much, once i used this one where is posiible to have graphs and infos of a specific process too
valgusk Aug 1, 2016
Quoting: manero666You can check these 2 steam discussions:

SR4 / Gat Out of Hell Live for Linux / SteamOS!
[[LINUX] Saints Row IV Troubleshooting FAQ](https://steamcommunity.com/app/206420/discussions/0/451850020334218520/)

as for tools I don't know much, once i used this one where is posiible to have graphs and infos of a specific process too

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I have been on all such discussions i could find. Mesa drivers are of course not supported, so there will be no info there, and the amdgpu-pro is too fresh.
My personal wild guess would be that some extension is not implemented correctly and there is a lot of communication between gpu and cpu that causes the slowdown, but I cannot pinpoint it myself, as 3 weeks ago I was a merry-go-lucky nvidia/mint user. This is why I was searching for some ideas on monitoring.
Sadly procexp was too lacking to show something for me. I myself tried AMD CodeXL, but is seems to not work on these drivers and thus only cpu profiling was possible (which i also did not understand quite well as it was showing mostly asm code).
I will continue battling that game to find out what extensions are used at least, but I myself doubt my success.
PublicNuisance Aug 31, 2016
Quoting: valguskHey guys. I always had nvidia GPU's and never even bothered about performance with it. Recently though I let myself be fooled with the rx480/new OS drivers hype and now I do.

I have tried AMDGPU-PRO drivers and the linux-4.7/mesa-git/llvm-svn combo. Performance is mostly equal in those games that really lag. My biggest concern is Saints Row IV (awesome game, revived linux gaming for me, when was on nvidia). It gets everywhere from (mostly)12 to 80 fps on any settings and the problem is that i do not see what resource is overused. My cpu load stays in 50% most of the time on all cores, gpu load is mostly 40% and up to 80% when fps is high, hdd is 0-7MB/s, all clocks are cranked to max.

Any ideas what other things could I monitor?
This really bugs me, I cannot sleep sometimes, knowing that I do not know reason for why Eon sucks on amd :D Also, for reference - other games like tomb raider/alien/dirt/autosport run perfectly fine, so my system is ok for gaming I guess. Did anyone maybe already investigate this game on radeons?

I don't have anything to add to the discussion but may I ask which monitoring software you use ? Looks like it could finally be my answer for MSI afterburner on Linux.
Hamish Sep 2, 2016
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI don't have anything to add to the discussion but may I ask which monitoring software you use ? Looks like it could finally be my answer for MSI afterburner on Linux.

I believe those graphs are actually a function of Gallium3D:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Gallium_Heads-Up_Display
nox Sep 5, 2016
Is there any way of getting something like that on nvidia? I love those graphs!
manero666 Sep 6, 2016
To have those graphs you would need to sacrifice the beloved proprietary drivers for the open-source NOUVEAU ones

I tried NOUVEAU a month or so ago on a GTX650 and there was no GPU-load graph, which I found to be one of the most important one! but you may have it with other cards..
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.