Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Shadow of Mordor 1050 ti no improvement over 750 ti
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
soupercooper Dec 3, 2016
Quoting: wolfyrion1) CPU
----------
Overclocking your CPU will increase your fps if the CPU is a bottleneck but most of the times not that much.
The FX-8120 doesnt perform well on single threaded applications/games and the problem is that most of the Games are coded to take advantage of 1 core and some maybe 3-4 max. In short I think your CPU is a bit of bottleneck.
The FX-8350, is the recommended CPU for Shadow of Mordor but I will give you some other tips to check out

2) Memory = 16GB (I hope are 2x Modules and not a single Module)
------------------------------------------------------------
When you have a second memory module,make sure that the dual-channel mode is enabled and that will double the memory bandwidth. GPU performance is highly dependent on memory bandwidth and your frame rates will increase.

3) Motherboard
--------------
I dont know what motherboard you have but make sure you are using a pci express x16,
Some motherboards have pci express slots that in bios you can set it up as gen2 or gen3.
(in a descent motherboard the above options in tests didnt make much of a difference but some users reported that their benchmarks went up, some other said that setting their pci express from gen3 to gen2 had better performance)

All components play a significant role in performance..

If you see my post above, you can see that I traded in my 8120 for 8320 and I OC to 4GHz

2. I do have dual channel

3. Again if you see my post above, you can see that I have the M5A97 LE R2.0 and i think that's only pci gen 2.0
Xpander Dec 3, 2016
i am getting pretty much same performance with my FX8320 and GTX 1070. you see GPU doesnt really matter in this case. i have OC at 4.4Ghz. memory in dual channel.

AMD CPUs just suck at singlethreading and OpenGL is pretty much singlethreaded.. its modified to take advantage of multiple cores but its not as good as say DX11 in that area. At least thats what i have gathered from developers.
so for gaming in linux and opengl you need really good single core performance to get better framerates in most cases.

PCI-E gen2.0 vs 3.0 doesnt make difference, i havent seen utilization going to 100% yet with my gen2.0

results at 1080p

Ultra: 38FPS avg, 18FPS min, 72FPS max
High: 41FPS avg, 19FPS min, 86FPS max
Medium: 41FPS avg,19FPS min, 82FPSmax
soupercooper Dec 3, 2016
Quoting: Xpanderi am getting pretty much same performance with my FX8320 and GTX 1070. you see GPU doesnt really matter in this case. i have OC at 4.4Ghz. memory in dual channel.

AMD CPUs just suck at singlethreading and OpenGL is pretty much singlethreaded.. its modified to take advantage of multiple cores but its not as good as say DX11 in that area. At least thats what i have gathered from developers.
so for gaming in linux and opengl you need really good single core performance to get better framerates in most cases.

PCI-E gen2.0 vs 3.0 doesnt make difference, i havent seen utilization going to 100% yet with my gen2.0

results at 1080p

I have a brother who has a 750 ti and a 8150 (So better than my old setup), he runs windows and when he plays, he can run it 40-50 fps on the high preset with barely any drops. And as you said OPENGL is singlethreaded, so I hope that someday feral interactive will use vulkan on this game, maybe even after deus ex. In the meantime though, I guess I'll have to wait to either buy zen or kaby lake, or wait until if any news if feral has any plans to port this to vulkan.
Xpander Dec 3, 2016
waiting for Zen also.. if its good then Zen, if not then also Kaby Lake
PublicNuisance Dec 3, 2016
Quoting: soupercooper
Quoting: Xpanderi am getting pretty much same performance with my FX8320 and GTX 1070. you see GPU doesnt really matter in this case. i have OC at 4.4Ghz. memory in dual channel.

results at 1080p

I have a brother who has a 750 ti and a 8150 (So better than my old setup), he runs windows and when he plays, he can run it 40-50 fps on the high preset with barely any drops. And as you said OPENGL is singlethreaded, so I hope that someday feral interactive will use vulkan on this game, maybe even after deus ex. In the meantime though, I guess I'll have to wait to either buy zen or kaby lake, or wait until if any news if feral has any plans to port this to vulkan.

Yeah on Windows I have used an FX-8350, an FX-6100 and my FX-9590 and all do very well with DirectX games. In paticular games from EA and Ubisoft make good use of more than 4 cores. Hopefully OpenGL continues to get better in this regard. It makes it tough using Linux for gaming when I know that on Windows I would usually get much higher FPS. There are exceptions though. Soma seems to run better under Linux for me than in Windows.
edddeduck_feral Dec 6, 2016
AMD CPUs struggle on gaming on Linux and are often a large bottle neck.

This is mitigated a little on Windows due to the way DirectX works on Windows and the large efforts by Microsoft to optimise their systems so they work better on AMD CPUs. However even on Windows the performance of games can be limited by the CPU. Deus Ex Mankind Divided for example, on Windows the best AMD FX8/9 series CPU with an Nvidia 1080 gets similar performance figures to an Intel i3. It's sometimes marginal and depends on the game etc but in general you can get a large boost by swapping to Intel CPU.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.