Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Dwarf fortress - like
razing32 Apr 22, 2017
Ok.
Quick question.
I am a n00b and I would like to try something Dwarf Fortress like. I stink at dwarf fortress but would like to try to learn it over time.
Only thing similar and complete I found was Prison Architect.
Towns was abandoned in what can be Alpha
Gnomoria was abandoned in Beta
Not sure about Pixel Castles(or what it is called now) or Rimworld as they are EA and am a bit skeptical.
NOTE: i do own Pixel Castles from a bundle.

What do you recommend as a DW-like or better yet as a DW-lite ?
Any good idiot proof tutorials to learn DF ?
Nor Mantis Apr 23, 2017
You have hit the most popular ones on your list. But DF is the king. Everything I have tried is a step down, if not a full flight of stairs down. I recommend sticking with DF. Once you have learned it nothing comes close.

Some tutorials for you
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD

and
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0sBhCMFBvPlF7wG7OH-NFQKMeCQiS8aM

Those 2 got me started and covers alot of ground. Its a huge game but worth learning. For me its the best by a long shot. I play any of those other games now just makes me want to play DF.
razing32 Apr 24, 2017
WOW :O
Those are pretty damn extensive.
Wonder why they never came up in my google searches.

I did a quick analysis of the runtime.
First one :
Total Duration: 1 days, 7 hours, 25 minutes and 18 seconds
Second one ( a more reasonable):
Total Duration: 0 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 17 seconds

Guess I have my work cutout for me :D

Will try those out.
Any tilesets you recommend outside of the Lazy Newb Pack ? Or is that the safe way to go ?
Nor Mantis Apr 24, 2017
You don't need to watch them all, but as you come into situations in game you can reference them. The hardest part is figuring out the UI. Once you understand where things are and how to navigate the UI the game becomes much easier to digest.

I like the Spacefox tile set the best, it is included in the nood pack. Dont forget the dwarf therapist. It is a must have and makes controlling the dwarfs much easier than the in game interface. But play around with it, there are a ton of options to customize your experience.
razing32 Apr 24, 2017
Will do. Will start watching the vids and seeing where I can go from there.
If these webcomics are anything to go by seems I have a lot ahead of me : :D

Nor Mantis Apr 24, 2017
LOL The first comic is correct LOL

It looks daunting when you first start but there will be a point when everything makes sense.

Good luck and may Armok smile upon your Dwarves.
fractal Apr 25, 2017
Read the tales of Boatmurdered if you need anything to inspire you to climb that difficulty curve cliff.
Nor Mantis Apr 25, 2017
Quoting: fractalRead the tales of Boatmurdered if you need anything to inspire you to climb that difficulty curve cliff.

Agreed it is awesome! DF is all about the story it tells.

Geeze all this makes me want to fire it up and build a new fortress.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.