Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Paradox Interactive
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Feb 16, 2018
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: MaCroX95I myself was suspecting that Linux gaming marketshare is dropping due to Feral releasing fewer and fewer games year by year.

Here are the games released by Feral Interactive in 2017.

F1 2017
Dawn of War III
DiRT Rally
HITMAN

F1 2017 and Dawn of War III were both released on Linux in less than 6 months after they were released on Windows.

Since last october there were no games announced, it is only now (February 2018) that Feral has announced another port and it's not even close to being released yet. My prediction is that Feral will only do 2, at most 3 ports for Linux this year.
To be clear, Rise might release next month for all we know, Feral said Spring which starts on 20th March in the UK (they're a UK studio).

They do also have another teaser up, let's just wait and see what happens. I reckon they will do at least 5 games this year, if not more for Linux.
MaCroX95 Feb 16, 2018
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: MaCroX95I myself was suspecting that Linux gaming marketshare is dropping due to Feral releasing fewer and fewer games year by year.

Here are the games released by Feral Interactive in 2017.

F1 2017
Dawn of War III
DiRT Rally
HITMAN

F1 2017 and Dawn of War III were both released on Linux in less than 6 months after they were released on Windows.

Since last october there were no games announced, it is only now (February 2018) that Feral has announced another port and it's not even close to being released yet. My prediction is that Feral will only do 2, at most 3 ports for Linux this year.
To be clear, Rise might release next month for all we know, Feral said Spring which starts on 20th March in the UK (they're a UK studio).

They do also have another teaser up, let's just wait and see what happens. I reckon they will do at least 5 games this year, if not more for Linux.

Liam let's hope this is true :D I will not stop using Linux no matter what happens, but if I'm less optimistic it hurts less when things don't go as fast as we expect them to :D
Liam Dawe Feb 21, 2018
Since it's bugging me, that same business guy at the paradox publisher recently said this to another developer:
QuoteMac+Linux just 3%? Yikes! Sounds like you should stop supporting them immediately and put effort on 97% of your community instead.
Now, on the flipside of this is another guy at Paradox who said this:
Quote75%?!?! Sorry but either you did a terrible job with the build or you are not specific enough with what you support. You should never support "Linux", you support a specific distro with a specific version, proprietary gfx driver version and then you QA that one.
^ Seems he gets it.
riusma Feb 21, 2018
Quote of the day:

QuoteAnd 75% of negative steam reviews saying why isn't there a Linux / Mac version (source

Everybody knows Linux users buy Windows exclusive games just to put negative review on Steam (and as far as I know if you refund a game your review will disappear)! ^_^
Liam Dawe Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: riusmaQuote of the day:

QuoteAnd 75% of negative steam reviews saying why isn't there a Linux / Mac version (source

Everybody knows Linux users buy Windows exclusive games just to put negative review on Steam (and as far as I know if you refund a game your review will disappear)! ^_^
Oh jeez, I've asked that one for some evidence. Sounds like complete rubbish to me.
riusma Feb 21, 2018
On top of that, Pixel Soccer is an early access game on Steam (Windows / Mac), with no user review currently, and with two (friendly) threads in its community hubs where dev' say the game will / may come to Linux... :P
Avehicle7887 Feb 21, 2018
I don't want to sound heartless or anything, but partially it's their own fault. In a way they are limiting their profits by locking their games on Steam, unfortunately that includes Singleplayer games too. For all I know, there's a good amount of Linux users on GOG which would increase their profit rate, but it seems Paradox didn't even try in the first place.

I understand there's no Galaxy on Linux for GOG, but that doesn't mean nobody is releasing Linux games there.

I checked a few Paradox games:

Stellaris has this: "Special multiplayer requirements: Internet Connection or LAN for multiplayer" Yay LAN!.....but it's still on Steam only.

Surviving Mars: Singleplayer only, the game looks bloody amazing. Nope, still Steam only. This one releases 15th March so there may be any hope yet.

Cities - Skyline: Another Singleplayer, very popular game. Locked to Steam since release (released March 2015).

They're limiting their profits and they're not doing anything about it.
jens Feb 21, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: Avehicle7887They're limiting their profits and they're not doing anything about it.
In my opinion it is the other way around. A lot of Linux user are excluding studios like Paradox that don't follow their ideology and thus making a minor market even smaller and even less attractive. Why should they invest and establish support for a second distribution platform (that is much less suited for their DLC model) for something like 0.2% more users? I highly doubt that this would be financially feasible.
Currently Linux needs Paradox more than Paradox needs Linux.
rstrube Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887I don't want to sound heartless or anything, but partially it's their own fault. In a way they are limiting their profits by locking their games on Steam, unfortunately that includes Singleplayer games too. For all I know, there's a good amount of Linux users on GOG which would increase their profit rate, but it seems Paradox didn't even try in the first place.

I also want to echo what jens mentioned, we're very lucky that a publisher like Paradox has chosen to release so many native Linux games. They took a risk that many other gaming studios have chosen to avoid. I think if we want Linux to be considered as a viable gaming platform we need to support studios like Paradox, even if the situation isn't ideal. Being rigid about the distribution platform at this point will not be productive, and it confirms the suspicions that many gaming studios already have about Linux users - that they are ideologically rigid. In their minds, there will always be a reason for Linux users not to buy a particular title. Perhaps the game uses a certain video / audio codec that is not open, perhaps Linux user's will be ideologically opposed to DLC and will refuse to buy the game on those grounds. The list goes on.

At the end of the day, if we want Linux to have a thriving gaming ecosystem, I believe we need to be more flexible and we certainly, without question need to support the few companies that are releasing games on Linux!

CDPR was rumoured to have been actively working on the Witcher 3 for Linux, but because the community backlash to the Witcher 2 port was so toxic they decided it wasn't worth it. Frankly I don't blame them.

The Blizzard CEO responded to a petition to bring their titles to Linux (which is really a wonderful step in the right direction) and how does the community respond, more toxicity, more complaints, more judgements.

To be clear, there are plenty of great, reasonable people that use Linux, but I think the reputation of the Linux community still has a taint associated with it that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many game developers. Really unfortunate, as most of the negativity comes from a very vocal minority of folks.

I really dislike DRM, but if the alternative is Paradox dropping my favorite OS, then I'll take it. In addition, Valve has really helped Linux gaming as a whole, so I don't many reservations using Steam.
Colombo Feb 21, 2018
Quotebut because the community backlash to the Witcher 2 port was so toxic
because it was horrible in quality. Or you expect me to order food, get something rotten and then not complain about this? Similar hate on bad quality is in every other platform and to almost every other type of merchandise with the exception of Apple. They somehow can afford to release a shitty product and be loved for it in their community.

Quoteand how does the community respond, more toxicity, more complaints, more judgements.
Single guy did that. A single guy and he was immediately hated by almost everyone in Linux community.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.