gpu advice/help
dvd Apr 29, 2018
I was playing my newly purchased copy of hitman when my GPU crashed. It will no longer send any signal on the DP port (or the cable is bad?) and i only get signal from it's dvi port until about the X server starts. Using the dvi port i can access the whole system in text mode, also the bios. I looked through the various logs, nothing indicates any error. Google searches indicated that other people have had similar no signal/blank screen issues with linux though. Is someone familiar with this error, or is it faulty gpu as i suspect? (My motherboard does not have onboard graphics iirc, it's an asrock AB350 pro4, video card is sapphire r9 270x)

If it is a faulty GPU is there some sub 50 eur graphics card that can play 1080p video and handle a kde installation?
Ehvis Apr 29, 2018
Weird that DVI doesn't work for non-text. Did you make a dedicated config with output hardcoded to DP?
dvd Apr 29, 2018
Quoting: EhvisWeird that DVI doesn't work for non-text. Did you make a dedicated config with output hardcoded to DP?

Not to my knowledge, i only used the DP cable because it was slightly longer than my DVI cable. Only 'custom' stuff i had in my system regarding graphics is that i blacklisted radeonsi and added the 2 kernel parameters needed for amdgpu driver's SI support. I don't know what the problem is, i had this crash running modern games (hitman, TR, Bioschock) few times, that after crash it would cease to send the signal to the monitor, but after switching off/rebooting the PC it would always turn back on. But now DP doesn't seem to work at all, and the DVI output works only until X is launched.
Ehvis Apr 29, 2018
Did you disconnect your DP cable? In any case, the xorg log should be telling you what's going on with choosing the display.

Can't comment on AMD specifics though.
dvd Apr 29, 2018
Quoting: EhvisDid you disconnect your DP cable? In any case, the xorg log should be telling you what's going on with choosing the display.

Can't comment on AMD specifics though.

Yes i tried that as well as having only DP, or both connected to the monitor, never gotten signal past where it should launch X. I checked the Xorg logs it had no errors nor warnings, it just had information about supported modes, which included my setting too.
dvd Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: GuestIt looks like the 3d engine and/or video ram of sapphire r9 270x has burned. Symptoms are the same when my XFX RX460 gave me an electric shock when touching the grounding sield of the hdmi cable and after that the gpu worked like yours. I got money back and replaced that with Gigabyte RX460.

Many people think that saphire and xfx are bad gpu brands. I buy gpus from Asus and Gigabyte only. Motherboards only from Asus after I needed to return Gigabyte b350 gaming 3 motherboard after flashing a new bios and the "fail safe" bios refused to boot to anything.

From aliexpress.com you might find a new gtx750 for 50 euros.

Sadly it seems to be the case, as i can't get the video working with the drivers anymore, it seems it's time to pack up the PC for the next few months until i can buy a new gpu for it.
dvd May 4, 2018
How important is video memory? Will i be losing much going with the 2GB variant of the same card rather than the 4GB one? I do not ever plan to upgrade over 1080, don't really care for running all games on maximum quality but i really want the new card - if i buy one - to last me a good 4-6 years, where i can get by with at least low settings in most games. Thanks for the advice, and sorry for reviving this thread, but i don't really have much experience with video cards, and don't believe hardware reviews, sicne they are usually catering for the people that always want to play on maximum settings and the hardware sellers ofc.
dvd May 7, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: GuestIt looks like the 3d engine and/or video ram of sapphire r9 270x has burned. Symptoms are the same when my XFX RX460 gave me an electric shock when touching the grounding sield of the hdmi cable and after that the gpu worked like yours. I got money back and replaced that with Gigabyte RX460.

If you got an electric shock in this way, it means you have a grounding issue with your computer - possibly a bad wall socket outlet which is not connecting the safety ground. Because of the way computer PSU's work, there is a coupling between the live side of the power supply, and safety ground. This can cause a discharge if the safety ground is not present, and that discharge can easily damage electronics such as your GPU.

yes, im not just a linux game programmer (ex)... but an electronics guy too :)

How likely is that? Family's been running some computers in ungrounded sockets in the past few years, so far nothing (maybe the aforementioned gpu is the exception) burned out. The GPU/PSU didn't shock me either as i touched them, even though i did it regularly while dusting the thing.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.