You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
DXVK on Debian
TurtleShark commented on 10 August 2018 at 12:55 pm UTC

So I saw a thread a while back about what Debian version people are running for gaming. I was curious about peoples Nvidia graphics drivers situation. Are any of you on stable with version 396 (for DXVK)? If so, are you mixing testing/stable or are you using Nvidia's installer? If I decide to use your method, what do I need to be aware of and where is the best documentation?

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: Just realized even unstable doesn't have version 396...So if anyone is on Debian and using DXVK, howed you get it setup?

debianxfce commented on 10 August 2018 at 3:34 pm UTC

Get the driver from Nvidia site. Install wine-staging and then dxvk:
cd /your/dxvk/directory/x32/
WINEPREFIX=/your/wineprefix bash setup_dxvk.sh
cd ../x64/
WINEPREFIX=/your/wineprefix bash setup_dxvk.sh

dxvk

sr_ls_boy commented on 10 August 2018 at 7:19 pm UTC

I was having trouble for the longest time with dxvk until I stopped running
setup_dxvk.sh in the 32 bit folder. I would skip it.

slaapliedje commented on 11 August 2018 at 5:09 am UTC

I installed 396.51 from experimental the other day to try to fix the weird gdm issue (haven't tested yet if it did fix that) but it seems to have done something to my SteamVR, so it no longer is freezing, but it also no longer displays on the headset.

I'll have to try dxvk with it when I get some time.

legluondunet commented on 11 August 2018 at 7:11 pm UTC

Hello,
I'm using Nvidia drivers official from Ubuntu depot: 390.48 and DXVK 0.64 (binaries available on official git page).

Shmerl commented on 12 August 2018 at 5:24 pm UTC

I'm using Debian testing but with AMD. DXVK works very well. I build Mesa and dxvk from source, and simply overwrite dxvk dlls after each build (you need to run installation script setup_dxvk.sh at least once).

debianxfce commented on 13 August 2018 at 6:33 am UTC

ShmerlI'm using Debian testing but with AMD. DXVK works very well. I build Mesa and dxvk from source, and simply overwrite dxvk dlls after each build (you need to run installation script setup_dxvk.sh at least once).

There is no need to build Mesa for Debian testing/sid, Oibaf ppa Cosmic version works with Debian testing/sid. See method B: ppas in Debian

I see no point compiling dxvk either. Latest winetricks does have it for easy installation.

Shmerl commented on 13 August 2018 at 6:34 am UTC

debianxfceThere is no need to build Mesa for Debian testing/sid, Oibaf ppa Cosmic version works with Debian testing/sid. See method B: ppas in Debian

You need to, in order to use latest llvm snapshot which is recommended for dxvk. And I don't think it's a good idea to add Ubuntu repos to Debian.

When I build Mesa, I don't replace system packages with it, I only load it on demand when needed.

debianxfce commented on 13 August 2018 at 6:41 am UTC

Shmerl
debianxfceThere is no need to build Mesa for Debian testing/sid, Oibaf ppa Cosmic version works with Debian testing/sid. See method B: ppas in Debian

You need to, in order to use latest llvm snapshot which is recommended for dxvk. And I don't think it's a good idea to add Ubuntu repos to Debian.

When I build Mesa, I don't replace system packages with it, I only load it on demand when needed.

Ubuntu is based on Debian testing and sid and I have used Oibaf ppa for 4 years without any problems. Oibaf ppa does have enough new llvm for dvxk, my games works without any dxvk problems. Wine-staging is more problematic.

Shmerl commented on 13 August 2018 at 6:52 am UTC

It's still going to replace system packages - not a good method. See example here how to do it without replacing them.

debianxfce commented on 13 August 2018 at 7:39 am UTC

ShmerlIt's still going to replace system packages - not a good method. See example here how to do it without replacing them.

Of course installing Oibaf ppa removes old and buggy Mesa packages. So does upgrading Debian testing and sid for all packages. You can purge Oibaf ppa if you want to install old Mesa packages again.

It is recommended to use Debian packages instead of compiling from sources because then you can manage all your software with Synaptic.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Puzzle Tiles: „Opus Magnum“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts