Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Proton collateral damage
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Sep 14, 2018
hey guys! I don't know if this is bad news or good news it seems that shadow of the tomb raider runs very well on nvidia with proton.

https://youtu.be/0rFZh85TTmI
Koopacabras Sep 15, 2018
yes that's a problem we waited two years for RoTR.
Koopacabras Sep 15, 2018
to be honest I did play RoTR before linux release on a cloud gaming service. But still I would buy this type of games again if there's a linux release.
Koopacabras Sep 15, 2018
I'm still waiting on Shadow of War though and, no it doesn't run on WINE because it has the denuvo. It's a bit disappointing that there's even a mobile version and not linux.
ziabice Sep 15, 2018
The good part is that thanks to Proton/Steam Play this will count as Linux game and the publisher will know it. It's not collateral damage: this will increase Linux market share.
Liam Dawe Sep 15, 2018
Quoting: GuestBe wary: the game is not officially supported. You are, in essence, paying for a Windows title only, and any patch can break functionality quite happily. Any update to wine can break functionality quite happily. And you get zero support on the matter.
Bingo. Why i will only buy older games with it currently. Still only purchased DOOM so far...
tuubi Sep 15, 2018
Quoting: GuestBe wary: the game is not officially supported. You are, in essence, paying for a Windows title only, and any patch can break functionality quite happily. Any update to wine can break functionality quite happily. And you get zero support on the matter.
Talking about support and consumer protection tends to lead to an awkward silence. I think many of us know these things are important but are simply too impatient to care. But I guess the risk isn't there for those willing to dual-boot. Personally I'd rather just wait. The game will be just as good when/if it ever releases on Linux, even if this happens a couple of years later.
g000h Sep 15, 2018
Related to the last few comments here...

Quite surprised at how patient I am when it comes to native Linux ports: I'll wait and wait and wait for those titles I wanted to appear on Linux. No, I haven't caved in yet, still going. (These titles, for instance: Shadow Warrior 2, Into The Breach)

Then owing to Steam Play... Counts as a Linux purchase, can play Windows-only titles without tweaking ...

I've bought myself a couple of older Windows titles (at high discount), and been disappointed that they aren't working out of the box, on Linux *yet*. So, back to more semi-patient waiting on those titles: Fallout 3, Skyrim, Antihero

Still, I have a massive back-catalogue of games which I haven't tried yet. So it isn't that big a deal. Then there are brand new titles (usually indie ones) coming to Linux every week. Plus, thanks to Steam Play, I have been able to play 75% (so far) of the Windows-only titles in my Steam account which I haven't been able to play before (on Linux).

Like Liam, I am (mostly) only going to buy old Windows titles to use with Steam Play. And yes, every one of those old Windows purchases may not work for me (yet / ever / without tweaking) on Linux.

Finishing off with... I'm happy to wait around a reasonable time for Shadow of the Tomb Raider to get a native Linux port. (And, for instance, if it doesn't get one, then maybe I buy it in 4 years time at 85% discount and try with Steam Play, heh.)
tuubi Sep 15, 2018
Quoting: GuestYeah, you can say well don't support those games but again people will just either boot/ go back to Windows or use Wine anyway.
Damn those hypothetical people and their reluctance to commit to Linux gaming.
g000h Sep 15, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: g000hStill, I have a massive back-catalogue of games which I haven't tried yet. So it isn't that big a deal. Then there are brand new titles (usually indie ones) coming to Linux every week. Plus, thanks to Steam Play, I have been able to play 75% (so far) of the Windows-only titles in my Steam account which I haven't been able to play before (on Linux).

Why couldn't you play those games before? Wine has been available for quite a long time already, and wasn't stopping anything before. Unless all of your Windows-only titles are DX11 only? I'm just curious.

Another comment for the thread is that if people buy an unsupported title now, they're still buying a Windows title, and all the money goes to the original publisher - so if a natively supported port comes out later, the porter might not get anything (depending on contract negotiations and how the porter is funded). Which then raises that issue again of: should we be paying extra for a GNU/Linux version if it's already been bought for Windows (assuming it was only a Windows only game at the time of purchase)? More and more I see that as a reasonable approach.

To clarify.. I don't play using WINE. Sure, I'll use no-tweak/minimal-tweak Steam Play, but I've never especially wanted to mess around with WINE (or dual-boot for that matter). With Steam Play it counts as a Linux purchase for visibility.

As for the Windows-only publishers getting money for a Windows-only title: (1) Half the titles I've got as part of Bundles, (2) If I was going to purposefully buy an only-Windows game I'd generally get it at a massive discount. [For a native Linux game, I'd be willing to pay more. Linux developers win 95% of the time, so to speak.]
stud68 Sep 15, 2018
Anyone tried with AMD card?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.