You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Pretty interesting update from Linus --
Page: «7/9»
  Go to:
tuubi Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: Doc AngeloNo matter how much you know someone, you never really now if he actually likes being hugged by everyone at a party or not.
I see how that might happen in a party, but I don't see the relevance. People might do all kinds of things in a party that would be inappropriate if they were representing the Linux kernel community.

Quoting: Doc AngeloI agree for the Linux community. But for the FreeBSD community, this is a reality right now. Brought in with the same kind of reasoning.
I don't really want to discuss FreeBSD or their policy. First of all, I don't know their situation well enough to comment on it (not really interested either), and secondly, it's like using Liechtenstein as evidence that something is wrong in Germany. These are two different communities with different leaderships and different CoC documents.
Doc Angelo Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubiI see how that might happen in a party, but I don't see the relevance. People might do all kinds of things in a party that would be inappropriate if they were representing the Linux kernel community.

"Representing"? What is that supposed to mean? This is about the regular communication.

Quoting: tuubiI don't really want to discuss FreeBSD or their policy. First of all, I don't know their situation well enough to comment on it (not really interested either), and secondly, it's like using Liechtenstein as evidence that something is wrong in Germany. These are two different communities with different leaderships and different CoC documents.

I can't follow that one. I see definitive similarities. We don't have to agree on that, though.
tuubi Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: Doc Angelo
Quoting: tuubiI see how that might happen in a party, but I don't see the relevance. People might do all kinds of things in a party that would be inappropriate if they were representing the Linux kernel community.

"Representing"? What is that supposed to mean? This is about the regular communication.
Just quoting the CoC I assume we're still talking about. But maybe you were talking about hugging in a party and meant talking about hugging on a mailing list? I assumed a more physical situation like a conference where you take part as a member of the Linux kernel community, in which case the CoC might actually be relevant.

Quoting: tuubiI don't really want to discuss FreeBSD or their policy. First of all, I don't know their situation well enough to comment on it (not really interested either), and secondly, it's like using Liechtenstein as evidence that something is wrong in Germany. These are two different communities with different leaderships and different CoC documents.

I can't follow that one. I see definitive similarities. We don't have to agree on that, though.
FreeBSD isn't Linux, and saying something will happen to Linux because it happened to FreeBSD (despite their differences) is a bit of a leap.
Doc Angelo Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubiJust quoting the CoC I assume we're still talking about. But maybe you were talking about hugging in a party and meant talking about hugging on a mailing list? I assumed a more physical situation like a conference where you take part as a member of the Linux kernel community, in which case the CoC might actually be relevant.

The Linux CoC is meant for any communication and social interaction, regardless where it happens. Be it online or not.

Quoting: tuubiFreeBSD isn't Linux, and saying something will happen to Linux because it happened to FreeBSD (despite their differences) is a bit of a leap.

I get that you see it this way. I strongly disagree in this case.
tuubi Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubiJust quoting the CoC I assume we're still talking about. But maybe you were talking about hugging in a party and meant talking about hugging on a mailing list? I assumed a more physical situation like a conference where you take part as a member of the Linux kernel community, in which case the CoC might actually be relevant.

The Linux CoC is meant for any communication and social interaction, regardless where it happens. Be it online or not.

From the CoC:
QuoteScope

This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces when an individual is representing the project or its community. Examples of representing a project or community include using an official project e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event. Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers.
Hamish Oct 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubiAnd some settings are more formal than others, which means we'll just have to control our impulses.

Exactly. Most of what is being asked for here is just the bare standard of professional behaviour.
Doc Angelo Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: tuubiFrom the CoC:
QuoteScope

This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces when an individual is representing the project or its community. Examples of representing a project or community include using an official project e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event. Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers.

Do I get that right that you suggest that talks on the mailing list is not something that this CoC is written for? That communication on the mailing list is not meant with this CoC?
Doc Angelo Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: HamishExactly. Most of what is being asked for here is just the bare standard of professional behaviour.

"Professional" behavior is different for everyone. It's different for people from the US, from Europe, I heard some interesting examples from Belgium and also Finland. Apart from that, everybody has a different view on that. I know people who have a completely different take on this than I have. I've heard people uttering something like "Never let other people know that you don't know what you're doing" as being professional. And that was from a person with a kind of medical background.

It's not a useful expression. At least not in such a diverse and big community. There is no "common ground" for "being professional".
dvd Oct 5, 2018
I've read the CoC, not sure what all the fuss is about. There is nothing in it you don't already abide by at work.
Doc Angelo Oct 5, 2018
Quoting: GuestWhat i am doing right now is probably futile but i will say it anyway: I believe you are losing your time because there is no communication between the last posters of this thread. ;)

Yeah, you're right. I got that feeling also, but sometimes I can't help myself and still try. I'm sick today and maybe I should just rest and leave it be. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.