Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
Steam Controller Got Discontinued
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Patola 2 Dec, 2019

Quoting: dubigrasu
Quoting: damarrinThat is all true, and if you can’t use a mouse and keyboard it’s a better alternative. It is, however, not very good as a pad.
What do you mean "not best as a pad"...then which one is the best?
I think I got what he meant. The left touchpad is usually programmed to be a D-Pad, but it doesn't feel the same, and it seems less intuitive than a "real" D-Pad which isn't even in the shape of a disc. However... I was able to kind of improve that in sc-controller by programming the left touchpad to have feedback enabled when pressed and also by decreasing its diagonal range to 1°.

dubigrasu 2 Dec, 2019

Ah, I see. (for some reason I thought he's talking about the right pad)
Well, is true that this is maybe the most common complain about SC, namely its D-Pad is not very good.
I'm not very affected by this, but rings true.

Would be nice (maybe) if the SC would come with some accessories, in this case a D-Pad shape that you can snap in place for those needing it.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 2 December 2019 at 5:14 am UTC

namiko 2 Dec, 2019

I sincerely hope they'll do a v2 instead of dropping it. It was hard enough to get them in Canada as-is. :(

The D-pad is one of the best parts, it didn't really even need a "click" function. Don't remember what console company made "click-in" a function for controller joysticks first (Xbox IIRC?), but it's a terrible thing for anyone with RSI, or anyone trying to avoid it. At least it's there for proper compatibility's sake for other games, I suppose... doesn't matter about the shape being different, traditional D-pads are a bit hard on fingers anyways. (The Wiimote's D-pad isn't bad, but Metroid: Other M is kind of painful to play for too long.)

I'd buy another Steam Controller just in case, but would it be worth it? Last I checked Steam didn't accept online Steam Controller orders from Canada... and we already have four, but OTOH they also see heavy use and might break someday so having a spare would be good... gah! :S:

Last edited by namiko on 2 December 2019 at 2:19 pm UTC

Maath 2 Dec, 2019

I just found out about this and I am disappointed that I never got one of these controllers. Having grown up with consoles and arcades, before PC gaming got big, I haven't enjoyed gaming with keyboard and mouse as much as with other input devices. I like to be able to recline and view a large screen while gaming. Without a special chair or some kind of device to hold the keyboard and mouse, I can't see how that is possible. Probably such a thing exists, but it doesn't seem too common.

I think it is funny the comments the PC master race folks make about the superiority of their platform of choice. I can understand the fundamental claim that the PC is versatile, but without a controller such as the this I think couch gaming becomes much more difficult.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Latest Forum Posts