You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
GNOME systray -- I need your support
wvstolzing commented on 9 December 2019 at 1:08 pm UTC

CreakWhenever I click on the Nextcloud icon, nothing happens since it is already considered running. And the list goes on...

Mostly, I would say that the intent is good, but the realization is simply not here (mostly for anything not GNOME).

Somewhat off-topic, but it would be good if Nextcloud also had a web interface, as in syncthing. Syncthing has no gtk client in Fedora (so nothing to put an icon in the systray), so it has to be managed over the web interface -- which is actually nicer to use than the gtk application.

Creak commented on 9 December 2019 at 1:18 pm UTC

For the Fedora users in this thread, which DE do you use?

wvstolzing commented on 9 December 2019 at 2:51 pm UTC

CreakFor the Fedora users in this thread, which DE do you use?

I use XFCE on Fedora (also regularly on Debian).

The default install isn't quite as polished as Xubuntu in either of them, but very little has to be tweaked to make it just as sleek. I also use the very long-in-the-tooth (but extremely lightweight) Skippy-XD (https://github.com/richardgv/skippy-xd) for 'exposé'/Activities functionality, which is sometimes faster to consult than the openbox-style middle-click list of windows on a workplace, which XFCE also provides.

(XFCE's own xfdashboard is supposed to provide the same functioality natively, and it comes bundled with every distro nowadays, but honestly it's hideous to looks at -- so it's easier to use skippy-xd, than trying to fix xfdashboard's appearance.)

jens commented on 9 December 2019 at 6:41 pm UTC

The default Gnome Desktop. It works pretty well for me.

Robert commented on 9 December 2019 at 9:11 pm UTC

I've been using XFCE for years, but I changed to MATE-Compiz a few months ago. Both of them feature a lightweight and highly configurable classic desktop with plenty of features, including vertical panels, I love vertical panels!

GustyGhost commented on 10 December 2019 at 2:14 am UTC

EhvisBut Gnome didn't solve anything. They just created a new one while taking away choice with it. But that seems to be the way Gnome is intended to go, taking away as much choice for the user as possible.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Last edited by GustyGhost on 10 December 2019 at 2:14 am UTC

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Shots Fired: „Saints Row: The Third“
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts