Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[FIXED] Login/cookie issues not fixed
TheSHEEEP Dec 17, 2019
I just saw the other topic that this is supposedly resolved.
But it really isn't.

I had to login (via Steam) multiple times just in the last few hours.
This has always affected me.

What is extremely weird is that this happens multiple times per day (sometimes I get the impression it happens per visit, but not quite).
But only on my laptop (Ubuntu 18.04).
On my main rig (Manjaro), this never happens. Or it only happens once per month or so when I guess the Steam auth lifetime ends.
Both are active at the same time and use the same browser (Chrome) - could this "at the same time" be part of the problem?

I also use Chrome to sync open websites/account/etc. across devices, but afaik that does not include cookies, so it probably wouldn't affect this.
This is also the only website with that behavior.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 19 December 2019 at 7:30 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Dec 17, 2019
This might be specific to the Steam login then, the issue with the normal login seems to be fixed. I can see from your session DB info you indeed have had to. Will look into it, I'm now using the Steam login myself to help narrow it down.
TheSHEEEP Dec 17, 2019
What confuses me most is really how this happens all the time on my laptop, but never on my PC.
What could even be the difference, given the browser is the same.
Liam Dawe Dec 17, 2019
Quoting: TheSHEEEPWhat confuses me most is really how this happens all the time on my laptop, but never on my PC.
A plugin blocking cookies somewhere? I've known a few plugins prone to doing that without people knowing.
Liam Dawe Dec 17, 2019
Next time it happens, tell me if the "gol_session" cookie actually still exists and the contents of it please. If so, that would mean the details changed somewhere and it's a case of things not communicating properly. If the cookie is fully gone, that's something removing it - there's nothing in the GOL code to remove that cookie until a manual logout.
TheSHEEEP Dec 17, 2019
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: TheSHEEEPWhat confuses me most is really how this happens all the time on my laptop, but never on my PC.
A plugin blocking cookies somewhere? I've known a few plugins prone to doing that without people knowing.
Could be possible, but Chrome also syncs plugins, so if that was a plugin it should also do it on the other machine.
Which plugins do you know that do it? Maybe it is one of mine.

I'll likely come back to this tomorrow as I'll be back on the laptop then...
Salvatos Dec 17, 2019
I was away a few days last week and noticed a similar situation. Sessions don’t persist on my laptop for more than several minutes. I can close the browser window and come back and still be logged in, but any "natural" length of time between visits and I’m logged out. I’m using Firefox sync so I have the same extensions and settings on both computers, but my laptop is badly out of date so it could be something on my end. I’m using a straight GoL account, though.

I have two gol_session cookies, which is not the case on desktop.

Before login:
 {
  "name": "gol_session",
  "value": "d0fc08de8218929e93086436a6a57ff9",
  "domain": ".gamingonlinux.com",
  "hostOnly": false,
  "path": "/",
  "secure": true,
  "httpOnly": false,
  "session": false,
  "expirationDate": 1578240874,
  "storeId": "firefox-default",
  "sameSite": "no_restriction",
  "firstPartyDomain": ""
 },  {
  "value": "kOmA7s%2Fwr5EX.3QzHpcmes9CK4ci1BYV9Uefd",
  "domain": "www.gamingonlinux.com",
  "hostOnly": true,
  "httpOnly": true,
  "expirationDate": 1581462021,
 }

After login:
 {
  "value": "d0fc08de8218929e93086436a6a57ff9",
  "domain": ".gamingonlinux.com",
  "hostOnly": false,
  "httpOnly": false,
  "expirationDate": 1578240874,
 },
 {
  "value": "nkS3GaEz4Op0.cLBhgYWQKCuRnhWiUzJYd%2FKn",
  "expirationDate": 1581782867,
 } 

One of the two is httpOnly; I don’t know if that helps. I saved the rest of my cookies from these two snapshots in case you need them, but I figured I shouldn’t post a PHPSESSID publicly.

On desktop, for comparison:
 {
  "value": "2%2Bdt9vaubjQP.jHTarNvKGbjfO0hNNO5Uyuw%2F",
  "expirationDate": 1581782205,
 }
Liam Dawe Dec 17, 2019
If you have a gol_session cookie that does not split the value with a dot, it's old and likely causing issues. Remove it.
Salvatos Dec 17, 2019
Can confirm that removing that one and refreshing logged me in automatically. Hopefully the same goes for TheSHEEEP.
TheSHEEEP Dec 18, 2019
Confirmed and working now.
This old double gol_session was the problem.

Hopefully you can find a way to do this on the server-side. Maybe checking for double cookies and delete the one that does not have the dot.
Liam Dawe Dec 18, 2019
Quoting: TheSHEEEPConfirmed and working now.
This old double gol_session was the problem.

Hopefully you can find a way to do this on the server-side. Maybe checking for double cookies and delete the one that does not have the dot.
Afraid not, if there's two cookies the same, there's no easy way to tell the difference. This was a booboo on my part, not renaming the new one. Will have to live and learn there, thankfully after a month or two the old one will vanish on its own since I don't give them a long life.

Will consider this solved :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.