Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Problem with running Ubuntu.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
I think I got it fixed.

I Formate the SSD to make sure no data was fucking up the installation. Then i re-downloaded V.18.xx from Ubuntu site and created a new USB installations Stick. And I then installed Ubuntu, when I was done, I could feel the difference. I didn't click on third-party software during the installation, which I did last time. Also, I didn't ask it to auto-login just in case. After the installation, I did a sudo apt-get update && Sudo apt-get upgrade to make sure everything was up to date. I then installed steam, but I still had 1 problem! I couldn't get halo to work just got "fatal error" when trying to start the game, and 7 days 2 die only run with 9 fps, which I know could run on this system. So I went through all the steps to upgrade Ubuntu to the newest version, which I think was 20.04 or something like that. That did it after making sure all updates and upgrades were done. I had no problem using steam Proton 5.0.3, which I still can't get to work on my laptop for some reason. But that doesn't matter since I don't really play on my laptop and halo runs with 60 FPS even though there are some lag spikes at times and 7 days 2 die runs with about 25 FPS.
tuxintuxedo Feb 25, 2020
I don't want to be seen offensive, but I suggest you learn about how the system works for future adventures. I see multiple problems with your current knowledge and approach to not just Ubuntu, but everything Linux related.
You might face more serious problems with your current experience.
There are a lot of manuals and forums out there with questions and people similar to your case. So be sure to use them and learn a lot.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 25 February 2020 at 4:00 pm UTC
damarrin Feb 25, 2020
Why bother people to give you advice if you’re going to do your own thing anyway? And reinstalling the system is hardly fixing anything.

Anyway, glad you have a functioning machine. :)
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: tuxintuxedoI don't want to be seen offensive, but I suggest you learn about how the system works for future adventures. I see multiple problems with your current knowledge and approach to not just Ubuntu, but everything Linux related.
You might face more serious problems with your current experience.
There are a lot of manuals and forums out there with questions and people similar to your case. So be sure to use them and learn a lot.

I'm not good at learning by reading i can't even concentrate on reading a book. That's why i listen to audiobooks, so for me, the only way to learn is by Trial & Error and youtube videos. I need to see what works best for me i do appreciate everyone's opinion, and i did read it all and keep it in mind, but for now, it works, and if i have more problem i will come back and listen to all your great people again.

Quoting: damarrinWhy bother people to give you advice if you’re going to do your own thing anyway? And reinstalling the system is hardly fixing anything.

Anyway, glad you have a functioning machine. :)

Quoting: kibasnowpawWhen I get home from work, I gonna try to reinstall Ubuntu. I couldn't open the Nvidia settings. It came with an error.

As you can see, i said i would reinstall Ubuntu. Also, someone said it sound like a bad installation. i can't remember where since this site was not the only place i ask for help. i think it was on steam, but anyhow it's not like i ignore whatever you all said i did read it, and i also look at it. Still, since this worked, and so far fix my main problem, then i can't see no reason to do anything ells before i hit more problems i do appreciate your opinions. I will try to keep them in mind, but i need to learn by Trial & Error and see what works best for me I'm no Linux guru, and i been using win the most of my life, so keep that in mind.

Last edited by kibasnowpaw on 25 February 2020 at 7:34 pm UTC
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: RedfaceIF you go for reinstalling Ubuntu then make sure you get 19.10 (19.04 is end of live and you would have to upgrade to 19.10 right away) and choose Install third-party software for graphics and wifi hardware and additional media formats.
It comes just after the keyboard selection and will install the proprietary nvidia driver. You do not need a PPA any more if you can wait for the newest a while, both 430 and 435 are available now and 440 should come soon.

i know it a little late, but i forgot. The 440 is out there. i had it with my 19.X installations and my 20.x installation just to let you know if you wondered.

You can see me Change GPU to 440 here
https://youtu.be/Wasit0DwZLY?t=2280
Redface Feb 25, 2020
One thing that is good to learn about Ubuntu are their release schedule and version numbers.

They make a new release every half year with the year and month number as version.

So 18.04 came out in April 2018, and 19.10 in October 2019. The next will be 20.04 in April this year.

The releases in even numbered years in April are the long term support releases with over 5 years of support, while the 3 others only are supported for 9 months, users have to upgrade to the next after 3 months they come out.

That means that just looking at the version number you know when it first came out and for how much longer if at all it is supported. So it does make no sense to talk about 18.X and 19.X since you then put a supported together with one that is end of live already.
kibasnowpaw Feb 26, 2020
Quoting: RedfaceOne thing that is good to learn about Ubuntu are their release schedule and version numbers.

They make a new release every half year with the year and month number as version.

So 18.04 came out in April 2018, and 19.10 in October 2019. The next will be 20.04 in April this year.

The releases in even numbered years in April are the long term support releases with over 5 years of support, while the 3 others only are supported for 9 months, users have to upgrade to the next after 3 months they come out.

That means that just looking at the version number you know when it first came out and for how much longer if at all it is supported. So it does make no sense to talk about 18.X and 19.X since you then put a supported together with one that is end of live already.

nice to know but i am running 20.04 already.

Last edited by kibasnowpaw on 26 February 2020 at 6:04 am UTC
crt0mega Feb 26, 2020
Looks like you've successfully upgraded to the current beta then. Did you have to change some entries in your /etc/sources.list (.d/*) to perform these upgrades? If everything points to focal fossa it should be fine. Tbh, I haven't been using *buntu for about a decade now ^^°
kibasnowpaw Feb 26, 2020
Quoting: crt0megaLooks like you've successfully upgraded to the current beta then. Did you have to change some entries in your /etc/sources.list (.d/*) to perform these upgrades? If everything points to focal fossa it should be fine. Tbh, I haven't been using *buntu for about a decade now ^^°

Let me see if i can remember how to do it.
Change the settings in software and updates under notify me of a new Ubuntu Versions from Long term to the newest versions.

And then run a couple of commands.

sudo apt-get update
Then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then
sudo release-upgrade -d

Sometime it will not let you because it has some driver install it says need to update. Still, for some reason, it can't, so you need to remove those drivers with the sudo apt-get remove You can see the list of drivers at the end of the terminal after doing the sudo apt-get update

If I'm wrong in anything i just said let me know this is done out from my head, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it right but just in case.

Last edited by kibasnowpaw on 26 February 2020 at 11:30 am UTC
FreddyX Feb 28, 2020
I dropped Ubuntu a few years ago and I'm pretty satisfied. Not planning to come back. Now windows10 experience is on top for me
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.