You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How do you deal with games that clutter /home?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: eldakingAfter getting the tip on the discord, I use the .hidden file to make them "invisible" - just list each folder in a new line and they get bundled with other dotfiles.

Thank-you! I didn't know this trick.
BlooAlien Jan 3, 2022
Quoting: pete910Can't say I have that issue, Games go in my games folder, Steam games are obviously in theirs within steam.

I cant say I've installed any programs that have requested nor placed themselves in the main user dir.

The issue isn't where games install, but rather where those games create their savegame and/or configuration files and/or folders. I've seen some that create "dotfiles" and "dotfolders" in the user's home, which is also rude, but I think the ones that bother people are when they create unhidden folders/files either directly in the user's home folder or Documents folder. A few games I have do that, and it annoys me every single time I see it. It just reeks of "clueless rude lazy programmer".
pete910 Jan 3, 2022
Quoting: BlooAlien
Quoting: pete910Can't say I have that issue, Games go in my games folder, Steam games are obviously in theirs within steam.

I cant say I've installed any programs that have requested nor placed themselves in the main user dir.

The issue isn't where games install, but rather where those games create their savegame and/or configuration files and/or folders. I've seen some that create "dotfiles" and "dotfolders" in the user's home, which is also rude, but I think the ones that bother people are when they create unhidden folders/files either directly in the user's home folder or Documents folder. A few games I have do that, and it annoys me every single time I see it. It just reeks of "clueless rude lazy programmer".

The old loki games did this and a good few other older titles, Trouble is now they clutter up .config instead
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.