Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Total War Warhammer 2 segmentation fault - sigsegv(11)
devland 27 May
Hello, everyone. :)

I've been getting the "game crashed with signal sigsegv(11): segmentation fault" error in Total War Warhammer 2 for a very long time but it has increased in frequency since the last patch in January to the point where campaign battles are unplayable. The game crashes predictably, save games become corrupted and crash with the same error when loading them.

I'm running an all AMD rig. Ryzen 1700, RX 580 and 15 GB of ram. I also have an SSD and an HDD.

Online searches for "Total War Warhammer 2 segmentation fault" yield numerous other reports of the same problem but no solution. Has anyone managed to fix this or go around it in some other way?
I've seen people saying that the game works well through Proton but I really don't want to do that because what's the point of Feral Games ports then?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by devland on 27 May 2022 at 11:19 am UTC
Zlopez 27 May
  • Supporter Plus
I would recommend playing with Proton and see if there is any difference. And maybe test your RAM, SSD and HDD to be sure that there isn't something funny going on.
devland 28 May
I think I found the problem. I'm running Manjaro with KDE. The game was crashing after every battle with my latest campaign save until I thought to disable the compositor. This is a trick that usually increases performance especially in wine games. With the compositor turned off I managed to get through that battle and all the others that followed.
devland 19 Jun
Crashes still happen even with the compositor turned off, albeit less often. It seems the game has identical crashes on Windows as well as most streamers know about them and usually auto resolve the crashy battles in order to continue the campaign.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.