Asus Ally
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Apr 27, 2023
Quoting: melkemindI'm reviving this discussion just because we know a little more. Asus is saying it's "under $1000" and it seems like Microsoft is really partnering with them to try to make it a useable device (not surprising since Asus is such a huge company).

My concern, as a Linux user, is not having hardware competition but that people who were warming up to Linux through SteamOS and even switiching on their desktops will be swayed back to Windows mediocrity by this device. Am I wrong? I hope I am.
To be honest, I can see your concern. But I don't think this is an immediate issue for us. I mean you only have to see the outrage on Steam forums about Windows 7 support being dropped to see there's more than one reason people are switching over to Linux.

And you know what they say about polishing a turd. I feel people are just getting sick of Windows as a whole.

I will say however that I am biased towards Linux. There's nothing Windows could offer to ever convince me to switch, as such I may be unintentionally biased against the Ally device here.

So, I'll say I hope you are wrong too, however it's important to see people's reactions as it seems to paint a picture of users who are unhappy with the way Windows is going overall.

I am seeing it more and more where people are saying "Once Windows 10 support is dropped, I'm switching to Linux" because they want to avoid Windows 11/12. It's still a set of small numbers now, but hopefully those numbers add up to a bigger number over time.
PublicNuisance Apr 28, 2023
I have no interest in either. Handhelds and portables aren't really my thing.
BlackBloodRum Apr 28, 2023
Going on the previous topic, one thing that has caught my eye is this conversation with the "normal" gaming crowd:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/3821910251184686466/

There doesn't seem to be a big demand for it so far? Trying my best to stay out of the topic as to avoid skewing the results here.
melkemind Apr 29, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumGoing on the previous topic, one thing that has caught my eye is this conversation with the "normal" gaming crowd:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/3821910251184686466/

There doesn't seem to be a big demand for it so far? Trying my best to stay out of the topic as to avoid skewing the results here.

It's hilarious how completely disinterested all those people are in general, but good info nonetheless.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.