Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Payday 2 not launching when proton is enabled on steam
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
onurubu Jul 7, 2023
Quoting: GroganI made a typo that I corrected, hopefully you knew better. I put lib64 for both paths where the 32 bit dist files are in lib

Have you considered trying Proton-GE?
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/GE-Proton8-6

In case you aren't familiar with it, unpack GE-Proton8-6.tar.gz to steam/compatibilitytools.d (probably /home/onurubu/.local/share/Steam/compatibiitytools.d create it if it's not already there)

Yeah I figured the lib files were meant to be different. Followed the instructions of Proton-GE and tried to launch with no results again.

However thanks for the recommendation of Proton-GE! It's making my other proton games (Prey, Halo MCC) run noticeably smoother.

Last edited by onurubu on 8 July 2023 at 12:01 am UTC
Grogan Jul 8, 2023
There's something weird with the setup of Payday 2 for you on your system, then. I don't know what that is from here.

Proton logging isn't going to give us anything useful, but it might be easier to get more coherent messages from Steam if you start it so it will redirect all its output, stdout and stderr to a text file.

I don't know how you start Steam, I point whatever menu or panel shortcut to a wrapper script I made for it. Set a few variables and ultimately start steam.sh. I normally just direct it to /dev/null because I don't want its noise but I change it to a file if I think I need to see something.

The business end of that is:

/path/to/steam/steam.sh > /home/yourname/filename.log 2>&1

I'm glad to hear Proton-GE has helped you. I'm just starting to play Prey myself, enjoying it so far. I like having to figure out the traversal :-)
onurubu Jul 8, 2023
Quoting: GroganThere's something weird with the setup of Payday 2 for you on your system, then. I don't know what that is from here.

Proton logging isn't going to give us anything useful, but it might be easier to get more coherent messages from Steam if you start it so it will redirect all its output, stdout and stderr to a text file.

I don't know how you start Steam, I point whatever menu or panel shortcut to a wrapper script I made for it. Set a few variables and ultimately start steam.sh. I normally just direct it to /dev/null because I don't want its noise but I change it to a file if I think I need to see something.

The business end of that is:

/path/to/steam/steam.sh > /home/yourname/filename.log 2>&1

I'm glad to hear Proton-GE has helped you. I'm just starting to play Prey myself, enjoying it so far. I like having to figure out the traversal :-)

Thank you for your help so far but I think this has gone beyond my technical capabilities. So short of just having someone try to help remotely I think I will just give up on trying to get Payday work on Proton. I'll put it on my Windows dual boot if I need.

Again I appreciate all the help so far.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.