Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Windows 11 VM or Native?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Smellbringer Aug 22, 2023
Alright, so I decided on a new setup. Wiped my 1TB SSD that was holding my emulation stuff and installed Windows on that for online games, namely CoD and Fortnite but Halo Infinite also performs like ass on Linux with various crashes (turns out it's rated Bronze for a reason) so I'm gonna have to look into installing that on Windows too.

With everything else I just reformatted my 2TB and 4TB drives to ext4 and should be good from there, thank you.
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: SmellbringerBut I'm also a Linux noob...
Linux Distro: Nobara
It's not a great idea to use random niche distros when you're new.

Niche distros are going to have issues that you'll have to work out how to fix yourself because they're niche. And you won't know how to fix them yourself because you're new.

Something mainstream that loads of people use - so issues are found quickly, and widely solved quickly - is what you want when you're new.

From what I understand it's mostly a fork of Fedora so I figured solutions that would apply to Fedora would apply to Nobara. Also my first time using Linux back in 2019 was on Ubuntu and I still have a bad taste for Ubuntu from that. I heard Nobara was recommended for gaming and that it had a Steam Deck mode. Which I wanted because I was planning on using my PC on my TV as well and ChimeraOS seemed too restrictive for my tastes.
So far it's going great, issues that I bumped into on Nobara seem largely the same any Linux user would have. Such as figuring out how to mount drives and ensure they auto-mount at the start of every session, how to properly format a drive for Linux. My problems have mostly been using other drives honestly, lol. Things that made me tear my hair out in 2019 like Bluetooth drivers and GPU installation just seem to work.
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: SmellbringerBut I'm also a Linux noob...
Linux Distro: Nobara
It's not a great idea to use random niche distros when you're new.

Niche distros are going to have issues that you'll have to work out how to fix yourself because they're niche. And you won't know how to fix them yourself because you're new.

Something mainstream that loads of people use - so issues are found quickly, and widely solved quickly - is what you want when you're new.

I disagreed with this but I had been having issues with Halo Infinite that no other distro seemed to have. So I swapped to PopOS and that solved it. The game used to crash every game but now I was able to go a whole hour non-stop. On top of that PopOS also can max out my monitor's refresh rate of 170hz as opposed to Nobara which crapped out above 144hz.

In other words, you were right and one shouldn't hop onto niche distros they hear about. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Smellbringer on 22 August 2023 at 11:28 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.