Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
New Member, Surprised that this many users have 32GB of RAM
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
dvd Aug 30, 2023
Quoting: Amy1122
Quoting: d-_-bAm I old fashioned, or do these user RAM stats seem to be slightly embellished by at least one or two units of 8 ?
It's possible that the user RAM stats might be slightly embellished by adding one or two units of 8, making the numbers appear larger than they actually are. This could be due to a misunderstanding or an attempt to make the specs seem more impressive. Always double-check specifications from reliable sources to ensure accuracy.

If you have to run VMs for your job, compile a lot or do a lot of specific computations, having moe than 8 GBs will make your life a whole lot easier. If you are running linux, you can also put some folders in a ramdisk for the extra speed. when i upgraded from 8 GB to 24 GB the main reason was that I had to run a windows only program in a VM for work. With 24 gigs i could run that VM, keep youtube and the occasional game running just fine. (I'd imagine that video editors and somesuch need the memory even more, but i'm not sure, never been into that.)
damarrin Aug 31, 2023
Quoting: Grogan
Quoting: Amy1122Always double-check specifications from reliable sources to ensure accuracy.

You mean, call the people saying they have 64 Gb of RAM liars and have them prove it to you?

That people think this is incredible to have 64 Gb of RAM in this day and age is more of a failing to understand that there's more to computing than their little tiddly winks games.

These insinuations are insulting.

No reason to be offended, the whole message looks like it was written by a bot. Plus, user Amy is banned, so Liam must also think their contributions were less than worthwhile.

Last edited by damarrin on 31 August 2023 at 6:39 am UTC
Avehicle7887 Aug 31, 2023
I have 32GB in my main system because at the time I read somewhere that Ryzen 5xxx cpu's perform better with dual rank memory.

Unfortunately it wasn't easy to tell which pair of 2x8GB were dual rank. So I got 2x16GB to ensure that.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 31 August 2023 at 10:32 am UTC
Grogan Aug 31, 2023
Quoting: damarrinNo reason to be offended, the whole message looks like it was written by a bot. Plus, user Amy is banned, so Liam must also think their contributions were less than worthwhile.

Now that you mention it, yeah, it does look like a bunch of pointless sentences constructed around the subject matter. "On topic", it gets their posts out there. The actual "spam" is in their profiles (or, once they get past any new user restrictions, they'll start "suggesting" sites or products in threads).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.