Something cool, you can now use ACO for RadeonSI OpenGL in Mesa 24
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Grogan Nov 2, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlZink stuff

I just did a quick flip back to my last mesa build before the change (still 23.3.0+spaghetti in versioning) and zink still fails with the same error. I actually remember it from before, but shrugged and thought it would get "fixed" eventually. Zink is just a curiosity to me at this time (I really don't have a problem with OpenGL, not good programming anyway) awaiting the day when even proper OpenGL can get better performance through the Zink driver with Vulkan.

Since I cannot believe that it could be "broken" for all that time, I must have a misconfiguration somewhere (or need additional configuration, somewhere). I don't think it's the LLVM though.

Now I have to figure out why Zink isn't working lol

Last edited by Grogan on 2 November 2023 at 3:45 am UTC
Shmerl Nov 2, 2023
I tested zink (over radv) a while ago and it was working fine.

Here is a recent build test (llvm is enabled for the build):

Grogan Nov 2, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI saw "ACO" and got really excited....... Then I came here and found out it was a different ACO to the one I was thinking of Automobile_Club_de_l'Ouest

Well, I suppose it's somewhat related, I'm always trying to increase speed and get better times and scores.

Damnit, it was the best tie-in that I could come up with, anyway :-)
Grogan Nov 2, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlI tested zink (over radv) a while ago and it was working fine.

Early on, when I heard it was making progress I tested it and it worked for glxgears, glxinfo and I even played Tomb Raider (2013), the Feral Linux port which still worked at that time. It was horrible (not playable) but I could still move and what was important was that everything looked like it was rendering correctly.

Some time later, and currently, I get that DRI3 error above. I kept Zink in my Mesa builds but never got around to trying it again until today. I booted to my from-scratch system and get the same error there too now. In both cases, DRI3 is certainly available, the extension is loaded.

A headscratcher for later.
Shmerl Nov 5, 2023
Just tried building Mesa without llvm.

Playing Black Geyser Couriers of Darkness didn't work. It crashes on startup. Plays OK when it's built with llvm. So it's not really ready in this sense.

May be I report it to the developers to take a look.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 November 2023 at 5:57 am UTC
Grogan Nov 5, 2023
I still haven't found anything opengl that I have that doesn't work because of this change.

I also still haven't found what I'm missing for Zink to work yet either. It doesn't make sense. Even with a full build of Mesa it doesn't work for me, it's like it's not dispatching correctly or something. I tried a build without glvnd too (which isn't so easy anymore, it uses older sonames than libglvnd now when you do that). I've only got one Vulkan (RADV) and I made sure there are no old .icd files in there. Zink doesn't have to work, it just bugs me when something doesn't.

Last edited by Grogan on 5 November 2023 at 11:04 am UTC
Grogan Nov 8, 2023
Heheh... something else I noticed. Without llvmpipe, using xvfb with the GLX extension (e.g. profiling firefox for PGO) it tries to use zink first, fails (because zink doesn't work for me), and falls back to my legacy swrast driver. I could pass LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=true in the command to shut that up next time (harmless, and its use is just so the application will run off screen) but it feels like this zink problem I have is taunting me

However, today I have realized the fruits of my labour, as I was able to rip out and upgrade LLVM without affecting my X session and just carry on with all the rest of my builds after that with no interruption. I just built a mesa yesterday and don't have to do it again because of this either. So I have been successful at solving the problem I set out to, without sacrificing anything I care about.

Last edited by Grogan on 8 November 2023 at 2:59 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.