You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
WARNING: Capcom going back and adding DRM to games that lacked it before!
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: LoudTechie
Quoting: Doktor-MandrakeIt's really disappointing as I have alot of their games in my library and been a big fan of their games since I was a kid, but this is like on-the-disc-dlc levels of bad lol

And yes I do think it's true that it was the chun-li thing that brought this on.

Thing is everyone knows these kind of mods exist for games in the PC space, even those of us that don't use them.. do they REALLY hurt a companies brand or reputation if said mods exist? Probably not

Qua market share.
Nah.
A thing is though some of these Japanese companies are full blown political entities in Japan.
As a political entity your image is very important.
Naked Chun-Li mods do affect your image.

But some Japanese games are so weird and also questionable which makes them so memorable to me.. like Mr Mosquito on the ps2

Also this was one person, one bad actor.. seems harsh to force this drm onto people like myself who hate drm with a passion due to one bad actor among the capcom fans
Pengling Jan 18
Quoting: Doktor-MandrakeAlso this was one person, one bad actor.. seems harsh to force this drm onto people like myself who hate drm with a passion due to one bad actor among the capcom fans
If there's one thing I've learned over time, it's that one should never underestimate how far an old-fashioned Japanese business will go regarding even imagined slights regarding honour.

One other example would be how Nintendo halted pretty much all licensing and merchandising in the West after the Super Mario Bros.: The Movie debacle in 1993. They kept that up for 25 years.

Last edited by Pengling on 18 January 2024 at 9:47 pm UTC
This is a downside to Steam and anything like it. Steam being DRM itself, it isn't a big deal to add in more DRM. How are people going to really complain about more DRM when they're fine with the DRM they already capitulate to ? Lot less likely for a store like GOG or Itch to allow adding in DRM down the road.
Pengling Jan 26
Quoting: PublicNuisanceThis is a downside to Steam and anything like it. Steam being DRM itself, it isn't a big deal to add in more DRM. How are people going to really complain about more DRM when they're fine with the DRM they already capitulate to ? Lot less likely for a store like GOG or Itch to allow adding in DRM down the road.
Very true, and very fair.

However, this isn't ultimately a big factor, from what I can tell - because of the sort of old-fashioned company they are, Capcom would be doing this regardless of sales platform, because they feel so strongly that the character they designed to sell on sex-appeal was "dishonoured". If they were on a more open platform, they'd probably just withdraw from it - Capcom only has two games on GOG as it is, and zero on Itch.

Last edited by Pengling on 26 January 2024 at 7:25 pm UTC
Ehvis Jan 26
Quoting: PublicNuisanceThis is a downside to Steam and anything like it. Steam being DRM itself, it isn't a big deal to add in more DRM. How are people going to really complain about more DRM when they're fine with the DRM they already capitulate to ? Lot less likely for a store like GOG or Itch to allow adding in DRM down the road.

I agree with that, but that's only one side of the coin. With respect to DRM there is also the matter of what it does and who you trust. In case of Steam, the DRM Valve put in is pretty mild and lets you play offline without any issues. Also Valve has no history of betraying the trust of their customers. GOG on the other hand does very well with their stance on DRM, but, as a Linux user, I don't trust that their decision making is in my best interest. Now, everybody needs to make those decisions for themselves, but for me Steam still wins it. However, this only applies to Steam and Valve, it does not apply to the publishers selling games on Steam. So I do have a strict rule that I will not buy any games that require 3rd party dependencies (as in any online requirement that is not covered by Steam itself).
Quoting: Ehvis

I agree with that, but that's only one side of the coin. With respect to DRM there is also the matter of what it does and who you trust. In case of Steam, the DRM Valve put in is pretty mild and lets you play offline without any issues. Also Valve has no history of betraying the trust of their customers. GOG on the other hand does very well with their stance on DRM, but, as a Linux user, I don't trust that their decision making is in my best interest. Now, everybody needs to make those decisions for themselves, but for me Steam still wins it. However, this only applies to Steam and Valve, it does not apply to the publishers selling games on Steam. So I do have a strict rule that I will not buy any games that require 3rd party dependencies (as in any online requirement that is not covered by Steam itself).

As someone who uses Windows primarily I've been annoyed when I bought games on GOG preferring DRM-free only to find my specific version of the game doesn't support linux, only the windows version does

But even on Steam, some DLC for some reason do not work on the linux build.. I found this out on Worms Reloaded that I couldn't use my DLC, a minor annoyance for that game but none the less

In terms of DRM and digital content, I feel like I want to bring up the elephant in the room... "piracy"

Do you know that games like Manhunt, on Steam, use cracks? By the infamous Razer, like you buy the game on steam, download it and it uses cracks lol!

Rockstar couldn't even be bothered to re-verse engineer their crappy DRM they used years ago for their old legacy games, but oh hey some pirate has already done the work for us, lets use that!

Trials Evolution.. Love Trials, but I always have my no-cd crack for that game to bypass the ubisoft launcher, not only makes the game much easier to install on linux but I do the same on Windows just to bypass their awful launcher, I'll download my copy I bought from steam, and then apply a crack.

And yeah Valve have been mild with their DRM but when I see what TF2 has gone through over the years with bots hackers ect. and now l4d2 getting ddos makes me wish they'd give their legacy titles more love.

Things like the concept of ddos on one of my favourite games puts me off not just DRM but internet in general atm
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.