Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Weekend Players' Club 2/23/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….. Its another Saturday here right now…….……

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Arcade

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time (1991 Konami) - Beat 'em up

Console

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)
International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NBA Courtside 2 Featuring Kobe Bryant (1999 Nintendo) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1995 Acclaim) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version (1998 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation - Survival Horror
Super Bowling (1999 Athena) - Nintnedo 64 - Sports (Bowling)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)
Virtual Pool 64 (1998 Crave) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Pool)

PC

art of rally (2020 Funselektor Labs) - Steam - Sports (Racing)
SRX: The Game (2021 Monster Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

This week I delved into Nintendo 64 sports games…… As well as played some Resident Evil (Full review of RE next week)…..

The Nintendo 64 has turned out to be a much better machine that I gave it credit for back in the day…… There are a lot of really good games on the system and every sports game I played on the N64 this week has been excellent……. Expect to see more N64 reviews in the upcoming weeks…..

Super Bowling…...

“WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!?!?….. I AM!!!!…...

The graphics….. Are very nice…… The bowling lanes are well done and are themed very well…. The balls and pins are nice……... Its a bowling game so theres not much to say about the graphics…..

The sounds……. Are nice and sounds like real bowling…… The sound effects of the ball rolling down the lanes and hitting the pins are almost perfect…… The voice over person is also good….. Not many lines so it doesnt get annoying……. But enough information to know how the game going…...

The controls……... Really simple…… Even the Doritos Pope could play this without an issue…. Line up the shot…… Set the power and the spin and then pray u get the accuracy bar right…… and thats it…...

The storyline....... There is no real storyline so I get to make one up again……. The Ninja Turtles arrive to rescue a kidnapped April O’Neil…… Again......

“Welcome turtles” says the Doritos Pope…… “April O’Neil is safe and well….. For now” he continues…… “But to see her…… you need to…… win her in a loot box…….” The Doritos Pope laughs maniacally…… “Play the game and earn loot boxes…. Hopefully she will be in it….. Keep playing until you win her…… Once you stop playing she is dead…….. I sure hope you turtles like the 2015 version of Star Wars Battlefront as much as I made the games journalists like it”……. The Doritos Pope laughs maniacally again…….. “I do hope you find poor April O’Neil amongst all the weapons, players, skins and other useless tat in the loot boxes………”

“LET THE GAMES BEGIN”….. Exclaims The Doritos Pope as all the Xbox’s turn on at the same time and load Star Wars Battlefront……… This is the toughest challenge the turtles have ever had to face……. They arnt gamers….. They have three fingers for gods sake…… They cant even grip the controller properly……..

The turtles will need a helping hand on this one….. From a gaming goddess….. Pengling are you still around???…… “Oh hell no” interjects Pengling once again…… “Im putting my Gaming Goddess powers to good use…… By playing the Taito Evercade in the car while mum is off doing the shopping…… Im currently trying to complete this level in Zool so he can clog another shower…….. Its proper gaming….. ”

Oh dear….. The turtles are in real danger this time….. “Who cares”….. Shouts Pengling from the background….. The viewers/readers care…… Thats why they watch and read this segment……. Can anyone save the turtles and April O’Neil this time???…….

The gameplay…… Its bowling…… You bowl a heavy ball at 10 pins and try to knock them over…… Theres not much to say about this….. If you like bowling this will be right up your ally…… It is definitely more on the arcade side of things….. With different characters to unlock…… Including a penguin…….

Also you and your opponent play at the same time on different lanes……. So theres no waiting around for the AI or human opponent to have their turn…… Its all bowling action all the time…..

Overall…… This is a really good fun arcade bowling game with lots of fun to be had with over the top wacky characters to unlock…...

And that is why my final score for Super Bowling is a Pete Weber out of 10……...

Super Bowling…..

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 3300 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Duel Shock Version (1998 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation - Survival Horror

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1995 Acclaim) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)

NBA Courtside 2 Featuring Kobe Bryant (1999 Nintendo) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Basketball)

SRX: The Game (2021 Monster Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

art of rally (2020 Funselektor Labs) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)

Virtual Pool 64 (1998 Crave) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Pool)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
My wife says im the cheapest man in the world....... Im not buying it......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Feb 24

My pick for this week came about due to a lucky local Evercade cartridge find! It's a solid little NES platformer called Totally Rad, which is in the Mega Man sort of vein, but instead of stealing your powers from defeated bosses, you start out with all of them and have to make careful use of them as you traverse the game.

Totally Rad was a super-interesting parody-localisation of a bland and unfortunately-named game called "Magic John", and it follows the story of a young man named Jake, who is an apprentice to a great magician named Zebediah. The English dialogue is written in a surfer-dude style that was already outdated at the time of release and is frequently either weird or hilarious, and often both - such as in the scene where Jake's girlfriend, Allison, is kidnapped, and she complains "They're like stealing me or something.".

It's got some nice technical achievements (such as a fab-looking parallax-scrolling effect in the first stage), but it's not something that builds upon what went before it in any major way (and really, sometimes all that you want is a good game that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel), but, as previously noted, it is a solid title, and definitely something that I would put in the NES' "Best of the Rest" pile.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Blaster Master Boy (GB)

Donut Dodo (Proton)

Doom II (Proton)

Gravity Circuit (Native Linux)

Lock 'n' Chase (Arcade; Evercade)

Mappy (NES)

Rivals of Aether (Proton)

Sonic The Hedgehog (Game Gear)

Super Bomberman (SNES)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (GB)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAs well as played some Resident Evil (Full review of RE next week)…..
Looking forward to that!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Nintendo 64 has turned out to be a much better machine that I gave it credit for back in the day…… There are a lot of really good games on the system and every sports game I played on the N64 this week has been excellent…….
That's been my finding on my recent journey to try to find N64 games that I like, and lay the unfinished business of my original disappointment with the machine to rest.

I know that you've already seen this one, Spider, but for everyone else, there's an excellent documentary about the system, here.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderExpect to see more N64 reviews in the upcoming weeks…..
Looking forward to those, too!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe controls……... Really simple…… Even the Doritos Pope could play this without an issue….
He might have trouble with the visuals, though - there's a bit too much colour and whimsy, there, and we all know how the Dorito Pope would react!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe storyline....... There is no real storyline so I get to make one up again……. The Ninja Turtles arrive to rescue a kidnapped April O’Neil…… Again......

“Welcome turtles” says the Doritos Pope…… “April O’Neil is safe and well….. For now” he continues…… “But to see her…… you need to…… win her in a loot box…….” The Doritos Pope laughs maniacally…… “Play the game and earn loot boxes…. Hopefully she will be in it….. Keep playing until you win her…… Once you stop playing she is dead…….. I sure hope you turtles like the 2015 version of Star Wars Battlefront as much as I made the games journalists like it”……. The Doritos Pope laughs maniacally again…….. “I do hope you find poor April O’Neil amongst all the weapons, players, skins and other useless tat in the loot boxes………”

“LET THE GAMES BEGIN”….. Exclaims The Doritos Pope as all the Xbox’s turn on at the same time and load Star Wars Battlefront……… This is the toughest challenge the turtles have ever had to face……. They arnt gamers….. They have three fingers for gods sake…… They cant even grip the controller properly……..

The turtles will need a helping hand on this one….. From a gaming goddess….. Pengling are you still around???…… “Oh hell no” interjects Pengling once again…… “Im putting my Gaming Goddess powers to good use…… By playing the Taito Evercade in the car while mum is off doing the shopping…… Im currently trying to complete this level in Zool so he can clog another shower…….. Its proper gaming….. ”

Oh dear….. The turtles are in real danger this time….. “Who cares”….. Shouts Pengling from the background….. The viewers/readers care…… Thats why they watch and read this segment……. Can anyone save the turtles and April O’Neil this time???…….
You've outdone yourself this time, Spider - I was laughing like a madwoman throughout this one!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh God, that Wesker picture gets me every time!
Mezron Feb 24
Tallowmere is currently being played at my place. I have a few friends over and they seem to like it.
It was a console weekend for me (Emulated on Linux)

Mostly played Motorstorm: Pacfic Rift
Quoting: Pengling
My pick for this week came about due to a lucky local Evercade cartridge find! It's a solid little NES platformer called Totally Rad, which is in the Mega Man sort of vein, but instead of stealing your powers from defeated bosses, you start out with all of them and have to make careful use of them as you traverse the game.
Never heard of that game before....... Looks really cool too..... Added to my list of games to play.......

Quoting: PenglingIt's got some nice technical achievements (such as a fab-looking parallax-scrolling effect in the first stage)
But does it have TATE MODE???.....

Blaster Master Boy (GB)
Not a polygon in sight..... But so much emotion.........

Donut Dodo (Proton)
The Dodo always looks so derpy.......

Doom II (Proton)
Nice to see you playing more Doom..... I preferred Doom over Doom II...... Even Doom II is a fine game still..... The levels overall arnt as well designed......

Gravity Circuit (Native Linux)
I swear I thought that was a Transformers game at first......

Mappy (NES)
Crappy more like it....

Sonic The Hedgehog (Game Gear)
Not a bad game but still kind of meh..... I dont think ive found a Sonic game I can say is truly great.......

Super Bomberman (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING.......

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING (Part 2).....

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (GB)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING (Part 3).........

Quoting: PenglingLooking forward to that!
It should have plenty of emotion in it......

Quoting: PenglingThat's been my finding on my recent journey to try to find N64 games that I like, and lay the unfinished business of my original disappointment with the machine to rest.

I know that you've already seen this one, Spider, but for everyone else, there's an excellent documentary about the system, here.
I look forward to trying out a lot more N64 games...... I am genuinely surprised how good some of the sports games are..... Considering the N64 is hardly ever talked about in the sports gaming community......

Quoting: PenglingLooking forward to those, too!
Good.... You might even see a celebrity cameo.....

Quoting: PenglingHe might have trouble with the visuals, though - there's a bit too much colour and whimsy, there, and we all know how the Dorito Pope would react!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... Thats a good reference......

Quoting: PenglingYou've outdone yourself this time, Spider - I was laughing like a madwoman throughout this one!
Im glad..... I aim to please.......

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh God, that Wesker picture gets me every time!
Science Wesker...... The best image in Resident Evil......

Quoting: MezronTallowmere is currently being played at my place. I have a few friends over and they seem to like it.
Sounds like fun.... Hope you enjoyed yourselves.....

Quoting: BlackBloodRumMostly played Motorstorm: Pacfic Rift
Watch out for Willy Pecker.......
Pengling Feb 29
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNever heard of that game before....... Looks really cool too..... Added to my list of games to play.......
It's certainly not a bad one - and the wacky localisation elevates it over the original, much like Samurai Pizza Cats.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNot a polygon in sight..... But so much emotion.........
Haha, yes! And a rare depiction where you can see Bomberman's smiley little mouth, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Dodo always looks so derpy.......
It's so great - I really hope they do some merchandise at some point.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNice to see you playing more Doom..... I preferred Doom over Doom II...... Even Doom II is a fine game still..... The levels overall arnt as well designed......
Yeah, that's my feeling on it too, which is why I haven't been going back to it as frequently as I did when I was inching my way through the first game. It's definitely still good, though!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI swear I thought that was a Transformers game at first......
It's not hard to see why, to be fair.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderCrappy more like it....
No.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNot a bad game but still kind of meh..... I dont think ive found a Sonic game I can say is truly great.......
I still maintain that the first Game Gear one and Sonic CD are the best of the bunch.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING (Part 2).....
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING (Part 3).........

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI look forward to trying out a lot more N64 games......
At this point, I've got an actual honest-to-goodness list of games for the system that I actually like. I really never thought that that would ever happen!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI am genuinely surprised how good some of the sports games are..... Considering the N64 is hardly ever talked about in the sports gaming community......
People usually fail to credit them with it today (and Nintendo themselves haven't helped this), but Nintendo always had a good grasp on the importance of sports games to selling a console.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGood.... You might even see a celebrity cameo.....
Oh boy.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... Thats a good reference......
There really was nothing else I could've chosen.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderScience Wesker...... The best image in Resident Evil......
He's totally not shady at all.

Last edited by Pengling on 29 February 2024 at 6:47 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.