Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Logitech G29 steering wheel - Snowrunner support
njasd2w Mar 28
Hello there.

I have a logitech G29 wheel that I try to get working with some of my Wine games. For this question specifically, I have problems getting it working with Snowrunner. First off, it is a bit quirky when it tries to recognise the wheel in-game. Here I sometimes have to reconnect the wheel when the games has started up. When I then load into a save, the motor/FFB in the wheel goes crazy, and steers hard right. While doing so, the motor sounds quite bad. It is the same symptoms as this guy is experiencing: https://github.com/valvesoftware/proton/issues/4834#issuecomment-1079750412
I know he as created an issue, but since it is 2 years old by now, I would like to hear if anyone has had any success with gettings things to work out properly?

Now, of course I could just go ahead and disable FFB in-game, which also works. However the preset for my wheel, provided by the game, is also doing some funky stuff. I cannot use the pedals when haveing this selected. If I choose custom mapping, and add only the wheel and the pedals it works.

Anyone have any experience with this game?
whizse Mar 29
Force Feedback is very much hit or miss in Wine and Proton. It works perfectly in some games, not at all in others and in some with severe issues or half the effects missing.

Sadly no one seems to be actively working on improvements.

The only thing I can think of trying is making sure you're using new-lg4ff the improved ffb driver for the G29.
njasd2w Apr 6
Quoting: whizseForce Feedback is very much hit or miss in Wine and Proton. It works perfectly in some games, not at all in others and in some with severe issues or half the effects missing.

Sadly no one seems to be actively working on improvements.

The only thing I can think of trying is making sure you're using new-lg4ff the improved ffb driver for the G29.

I have since gotten it to somehow work, but that did require a lot of tinkering. It should also be noted that this is with force feedback disabled. That show seems totally lost.
I do however have the new-lg4ff driver installed. This has done wonders for a qouple of other ffb games.
Thank you anyways.
silmeth 5 days ago
I have an old (ancient like, 23-year-old old) Logitech wheel (WingMan Formula Force GP) – found it recently (got it as a child, it was lying in the attic for two decades…).

And while it works without a problem with Dirt Rally (both native on Feral support branch and through proton/wine) – it’s actually surprising how good the wheel feels given how old it is and low-cost these days (though I’m sure it’s nothing like a brand new G29) – SnowRunner just doesn’t recognize it, at all. That is, it doesn’t seem to receive any input from the wheel, regardless of settings and whether another controller is connected or not.

I gave up and just play it with the controller.

Maybe doing something like using x360ce or using SC-Controller (is the project still alive?) to combine both Steam controller and the wheel as one virtual input device would force the game to recognize it – but I don’t feel like going through those hoops anymore (and I don’t see myself installing Python2 just for sc-controller these days either).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.