Steam is downloading a different version of Civ 6 on NixOS compared to Windows 11 and Steam Deck.
TieC May 14
Steam appears to be downloading Civ 6 version 1.0.12.9 on my NixOS partition but downloads version 1.0.12.58 on my Windows 11 partition and Steam Deck running SteamOS. When I try to run the game installed on the windows partition from NixOS, so with the version that was downloaded from Windows, I get an error and steam "updates" that installation of the game from 1.0.12.58 to 1.0.12.9.

Does anyone know why this is happening or any solutions to get the 1.0.12.58 version running on my NixOS installation?

Thank you
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe May 14
Probably as you’re downloading the Linux version. Run it with Proton instead since the Linux version isn’t really supported. Properties - Compatibility - tick the box, select Proton 9.
CatKiller May 14
Specifically, Windows will always grab the Windows version (obviously); the Deck will grab the Windows version if the Deck Verified process has set recommended_runtime:proton-stable in the game's manifest; and Linux will grab the Linux version if there is one or the Windows version if you manually pick Proton.

Also, don't access the same library files from both Windows & Linux.
Alexander May 16
Please don't share the Steam Libriary Data Files between Windows and Linux. I tried that also in the past. Please don't do that and have a simpler life with less bugs through letting the Windows steam has it's own Libriary and The Linux steam also its seperate own Libriary.

Also don't just mount the Windows NTFS Filesystem and run everything from that. (That also will very likely get you Bugs that only are caused because you use NTFS under Linux for more than Sharing some Files.

Linux Can Read NTFS of course, but NTFS is not native to Linux. Share Files like copy them over to a Linux Fielsystem → OK but using it for everything NO.

It's just the Experience from another Windows to Linux switcher (a long time ago).
slaapliedje May 16
Quoting: Liam DaweProbably as you’re downloading the Linux version. Run it with Proton instead since the Linux version isn’t really supported. Properties - Compatibility - tick the box, select Proton 9.
Yeah, sadly Aspyr seems to have lost either the license to get the latest versions to port, or decided they were too small at this point to bother with it, and instead they did the Tomb Raider 1-3 remasters. I think it's still technically supported, so if you file a bug, they'll respond to it, but it isn't likely they'll actually fix it.

This is pretty much why third party porting houses are at an extreme disadvantage, and the companies should mainline their linux ports in the first place.

I think even the mac version isn't up to the latest of it, right?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.