You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
5.1 Surround sound
Ehvis May 20
How is support for surround sound these days? I assume it technically works, but is it actually supported by the software/games/proton?

It sounds like my amp is dying, so I may need to get something new. Since it's over 35 years old, I haven't actually stayed up-to-date on this one. :D
whizse May 20
I've only used 5.1 for movies, and only with mpv (Pulseaudio, some Intel audio chipset?) and it worked without a hitch.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on support in games.
dubigrasu May 21
Yes, it does work for games too, be it native or through Proton.
I didn't had to tweak/configure Proton in any way, just my system a bit in order to convert/send the 5.1 channels through an optical cable to my amp.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 21 May 2024 at 12:03 pm UTC
Ehvis May 21
Quoting: dubigrasuYes, it does work for games too, be it native or through Proton.
I didn't had to do tweak/configure Proton in any way, just my system a bit in order to convert/send the 5.1 channels through an optical cable to my amp.

Thanks. Optical would actually be nice to get rid of any computer interference (although I'm not too disappointed with the current analogue setup). Otherwise you're probably looking at something USB based that needs specific Linux support. On the other hand, the on-board audio chipset is pretty trash. Had to increase buffer size in Pulse to make it run without stutter and it looks like I still need to do that for pipewire.
Teomyr May 21
Surround sound work fine in general, but I have noticed major problems with Unity games. Most don't work at all when 5.1 is configured. I had to change config to stereo on my media center / homemade console in order to get sound working. Which is sad because it's a chore to change it back when it's movie time. Non-unity games have all worked flawlessly with surround however, both plain ALSA and Pulseaudio.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.