Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Getting "The Charnel House Trilogy" to run
Kallestofeles Oct 2, 2015
Greetings!

I do hope that I created the thread under correct category... and I do hope that someone is more tech-savy regarding the matter than I am.

I am trying to get "The Charnel House Trilogy" to run under Manjaro (distro should not make much difference actually as we can use System or Steam libraries - both result in the same outcome). The issue is that when I open the game through Steam, I get nothing. Title in the library just blinks blue as it syncs the last session. Seems like a crash. So I took the terminal output when starting the game. Here's what I found:
QuoteGame update: AppID 288930 "The Charnel House Trilogy", ProcID 3287, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
pid 3290 != 3288, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/./CHT: line 13: /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The
/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/Charnel
/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/ags64: No such file or directory
pid 3294 != 3288, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
Game removed: AppID 288930 "The Charnel House Trilogy", ProcID 3287

Ok, according to last entry it fails to detect the ags64. So I went to the actual folder, verified that the file was there and tried starting it directly from the 64bit binary:
QuoteAGS: Adventure Game Studio v3.3 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2011 Chris Jones and 2011-2014 others
ACI version 3.3.3.0

AGS: *** ENGINE STARTUP ***
AGS: Reading config file
AGS: Initializing allegro
AGS: Setting up window
AGS: Initializing game data
AGS: Game data file: /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/CHT.ags

AGS: Initializing TTF renderer
AGS: Initializing mouse
AGS: Checking memory
AGS: Initializing speech vox
Speech sample file found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing audio vox
Audio vox found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing keyboard
AGS: Install timer
Checking sound inits.
AGS: Initialize sound drivers
AGS: Install exit handler
AGS: Initialize path finder library
AGS: Load game data
AGS: Game data version: 43
AGS: Requested engine version: 3.3.0.1164
AGS: Game GUI version: 116
AGS: Built library path: ./libagsteam.so
AGS: dlopen returned: ./libagsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
AGS: Built library path: /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/libagsteam.so
AGS: dlopen returned: /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/libagsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
AGS: Plugin loading failed, trying built-in plugins...
AGS: No built-in plugin found. Plugin loading failed!
AGS: No placeholder functions for the plugin found. The game might fail to load.
Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam::SetAchievementAchieved^1'

Fine, what I can tell is that the executable is unable to locate "libagsteam.so" in the "data" directory. The library file is further down the tree ".../data/lib64/libagsteam.so".
So what I did was that I either created a symlink or bluntly copied the library to the "data" directory. The result is that I can now start the game from terminal like "./ags64" but there is no audio output whatsoever. (no music, vox, sound)

Here's yet another output, when libraries are linked or copied and when executing the game from terminal:
Quote[kalle@EELAKALLE data]$ ./ags64
AGS: Adventure Game Studio v3.3 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2011 Chris Jones and 2011-2014 others
ACI version 3.3.3.0

AGS: *** ENGINE STARTUP ***
AGS: Reading config file
AGS: Initializing allegro
AGS: Setting up window
AGS: Initializing game data
AGS: Game data file: /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/CHT.ags

AGS: Initializing TTF renderer
AGS: Initializing mouse
AGS: Checking memory
AGS: Initializing speech vox
Speech sample file found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing audio vox
Audio vox found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing keyboard
AGS: Install timer
Checking sound inits.
AGS: Initialize sound drivers
AGS: Install exit handler
AGS: Initialize path finder library
AGS: Load game data
AGS: Game data version: 43
AGS: Requested engine version: 3.3.0.1164
AGS: Game GUI version: 116
AGS: Built library path: ./libagsteam.so
AGS: dlopen returned: (null)
AGS: Plugin loading succeeded, resolving imports...
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
AGS: The Charnel House Trilogy
AGS: Checking for disk space
AGS: Initializing screen settings
AGS: Device display resolution: 3840 x 1080
AGS: Game native resolution: 320 x 200 (32 bit)
AGS: Game settings: letterbox acceptable, side borders acceptable
AGS: Init gfx driver
AGS: Created graphics driver: Allegro/DX5
AGS: Supported gfx modes (32-bit):
640x480;720x400;800x600;1024x768;1280x720;1280x1024;1440x900;1680x1050;
1920x1080;
AGS: Supported gfx modes (24-bit):
640x480;720x400;800x600;1024x768;1280x720;1280x1024;1440x900;1680x1050;
1920x1080;
AGS: Initializing gfx filters
AGS: Requested gfx filter: max
AGS: Chosen gfx resolution: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit), game frame: 336 x 210
AGS: Applying scaling filter: StdScale5
AGS: Switching to graphics mode
AGS: Attempt to switch gfx mode to 1680 x 1050 (32-bit) fullscreen, game frame 336 x 210, gfx filter: StdScale5
AGS: Succeeded. Using gfx mode 1680 x 1050 (32-bit) fullscreen, game frame 336 x 210, gfx filter: StdScale5
AGS: Preparing graphics mode screen
AGS: Initializing colour conversion
AGS: Check for preload image
AGS: Initialize sprites
AGS: Set up screen
AGS: Initialize game settings
AGS: Prepare to start game
AGS: Audio is processed on the main thread
AGS: Checking replay status
AGS: Engine initialization complete
AGS: Starting game
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
AGS: Loading room 99
AGS: ***** ENGINE HAS SHUTDOWN

The fun part is that I also contacted the developers about the matter and they were baffled regarding the matter yet very positive and friendly. They promised to look for the issues from their end and I promised to ask around for some community help. And now, here we are... if anyone has any ideas which might take me any further, I'd much appreciate it!

And I'm terribly sorry if I made the post in an incorrect sub-forum!

Edit:
Aigh, forgot to add that I can test this on 2 different systems - one running intelHD video, the other running nvidia-prop GTX970.

Update:
I noticed the broken link in steamapp folder:
Quote[kalle@EELAKALLE The Charnel House Trilogy]$ ls -la
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 kalle users 4096 Oct 2 20:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 kalle users 4096 Oct 2 14:36 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kalle users 563 Oct 2 14:35 CHT
drwxr-xr-x 5 kalle users 4096 Oct 2 20:25 data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 kalle users 232 Oct 2 20:27 libagsteam.so -> /home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The?/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/Charnel?/home/kalle/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/The Charnel House Trilogy/data/lib64/libagsteam.so

I fixed the link but when launching the game via steam, it automatically re-creates the broken link and overwrites the fixed one.

Unsure if that would fix the launching feature through Steam directly but it's something to look at.

I'll keep on searching.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.