Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Head Tracking!
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
pete910 Jan 10, 2016
Anyone use/tried it ?

Downloaded the opentrack software to have a play, I put a post up in the trackhat forums with regards support on linux as was thinking about trying it. He did answer and seems genuinely interested in how it works out, he states they cannot officially support it. Offered me a refund if it dont work out. So took a chance and ordered one. Post here
Chose the trackhat as it's the cheaper option compared to most + its wireless and its based on opentrack.

A few things with opentrack, it is it needs opencv 3, also you need to edit a cmake file in order to build the evdev plugin. I can see why it's disabled though. Wont work unless root. Permissions thing I think. Need the uinput module loaded

Not really tried Linuxtrack yet

Thoughts?
pete910 Jan 30, 2016
bump, anyone?
slaapliedje Jan 31, 2016
I've considered several times about trying out some of the head tracking hacks, but have always decided in the end I was going to just go straight for some sort of VR headset which of course would eliminate the need for head tracking. Of course I guess it comes down to what would be better, a cheap head tracking solution, and a bunch of monitors, or a headset that straps to your face?

A bit more useful information. Apparently the Linux head tracking stuff does work with games like Euro Truck Simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oquBKX-YIv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwSQSYoP__s
pete910 Jan 31, 2016
I has seen the euro truck vid, I've also tried it since I originally posted . Couldn't get it to work. Not tried war thunder though. Will have another go.

Linux-track appears to be a base for others to integrate into their own program rather than a full control app like what opentrack is/does.

The dev of opentrack unfortunately does not see linux as needing or viable for gaming thus its only supported for developing on. Though how you can develop something with out testing during the development is beyond me
slaapliedje Feb 1, 2016
I've always been annoyed by people with the attitude that it's not viable for gaming. Why not? I tend to think it's even a bit better than Windows in that regard, since with Windows everyone inevitably has tons of crap running in the background, which takes power of the system away from the gaming, which is arguably a single-tasking thing to be doing. While a typical Linux machine probably has a bunch of background processes as well, it's easy enough to tone those down and optimize it for gaming, like SteamOS.
slaapliedje Feb 1, 2016
Ha ha, that's pretty cool, but with how huge my Note 4 is, I tend to think my neck would get sore. The one thing I've never quite understood about how headtracking would work, is that you'd need to have it accelerated somehow so that turning your head a little bit would allow you to see to your right/left, because if you actually look to your right/left, then you are no longer looking at the monitor(s). Which is why I really want VR, because the monitors go with you.
Homepcgamer Feb 2, 2016
Its a pity that we dont have any decent head tracking... Im a big fan of simulators and play with a head track system is a must have.

I know that the simulator world is a niche even in windows... but if anybody start pushing the simulator world in linux will never have a good health.
pete910 Feb 3, 2016
Quoting: JuliusYou saw this?
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Smartphone-Headtracking

That's all ready in opentrack, look on the android store for an app called freepie.
I've tried it and it does work. Still the same problem as the protocol that a lot of games use is freetrack http://www.free-track.net/
Which is windows only :(

Edit: freetrack is what euro truck sim uses.
pete910 Feb 3, 2016
Quoting: HomepcgamerIts a pity that we dont have any decent head tracking... Im a big fan of simulators and play with a head track system is a must have.

I know that the simulator world is a niche even in windows... but if anybody start pushing the simulator world in linux will never have a good health.

It's one of the reasons I posted to get the interest shown to people like the dev of opentrack .

Julius Feb 5, 2016
There is also "Linuxtrack", have never tried it, but it seems to work with those truck simulators under Linux:
https://youtu.be/oquBKX-YIv8
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.