Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
edX Course: Introduction to Linux
Hamish Mar 25, 2014
QuoteLinux powers 94% of the world’s supercomputers, most of the servers powering the Internet, the majority of financial trades worldwide and a billion Android devices. In short, Linux is everywhere. It appears in many different architectures, from mainframes to server to desktop to mobile and on a staggeringly wide variety of hardware.

This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux programmers, system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.

Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

Is anyone else interested in this?

My only concern is that it seems to start right when I am likely to be involved in a fairly intensive job again. Looking at the description and requirements though it might be such a doddle for me that I might consider taking it anyway.
Hamish Aug 1, 2014
Well, the course started today, and as I suspected it so far would be quite easy for just about anyone who posts here. It also has no strict deadlines and is available at anytime, so if anyone is concerned about time pressures they can go and take the course anyway.

Finished the first three chapters in my first day, which would have me done in a little over a week if I keep up this pace. The final exam is open book as well and allows two tries for each question, so in almost every respect it is quite forgiving.
HadBabits Aug 2, 2014
I'll probably skim through it, I certainly don't have the cash to actually pick up a certificate. However, I'm sure I'll learn something :)
Hamish Dec 9, 2014
Well, it took me awhile to get here, mostly because I never had the time to work on it, but I finally got my perfect 100% on the Final Exam without ever having to use any of my available second attempts on any of the questions. I also did not not need to consult any of the course materials to get a passing grade.
Hamish Jun 6, 2015
They now have a higher level system administration course which I am intending to take:
https://www.edx.org/course/linux-system-administration-essentials-linuxfoundationx-lfs201x

If you sign up now you get access to the course materials for 20% off, which also grants you two free tries at the more formal Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator exam once you complete the edX course.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.