You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
any interest in ultra wide linux gaming videos?
EKRboi Sep 19, 2014
I play games on 3 1080p monitors, which means that my resolution is 5760x1080. Some of you may have seen my screenshots in the screen shot thread. I checked out @Samsai's article about making game videos and have been playing around with it for the hell of it. Would anyone be interested in videos showing Ultra wide resolution gaming on linux? I just need to figure out the best way of making them "accessible" to those on single monitors. In my tests I have been down sampling to 1920x360 and it seems that's what most windows videos I have seen do as well.

Check out the following of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood @ 5760x1080 for an idea of what the videos would look like and how they will display on your screen.

Example
lave Sep 20, 2014
i guess for 3 screen people this would be somewhat interesting, but as a dirty 1080p peasant i must say these look horrible. cutscenes are just a tiny little box in the center and the gameplay is smashed by black bars of death at the top and bottom.

if this was optional and the usual 16:9 still a choice then i'd say - go for it (tho i cant imagine a high demand for it still) but like it is now... the ***storm in that assassins creed comments is somewhat deserved, as its a bad experience for 99% of the users.
HadBabits Sep 21, 2014
I have to agree with lave. I just don't see this being enjoyed by people with 16:9 displays, Linux or otherwise. So ultra wide Linux games feels like a niche within a niche, ya know? :P

That said, I'm pretty jealous of your set-up, I hope I get to try something similar some time.
EKRboi Sep 21, 2014
thanks for the feedback! I kinda figured the limitations of it made it not so enjoyable, that's why I asked.

I have never played on a 21:9 monitor so I can't attest to the advantages or disadvantages. If you can find somewhere local to purchase the monitor, grab it and try it out. If you don't like it then return it. That's what I did with my 3 monitor setup. I had never tried one before, only seen youtube videos. I just didn't end up returning them ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.