I will admit this is quite a surprise, Red Eclipse is a first-person shooter I haven't seen mentioned in a long time and it seems they're closing in on a big revamped release with Red Eclipse 2.
A classic free and open source shooter, Red Eclipse hasn't seen a released update since 1.6 back in December of 2017. Two years later, they're launching the massive upgrade for it free on Steam. Not a simple update either, they've completely changed the rendering engine to bring in Tesseract so they can support more advanced graphical features.
Plenty more than just an upgraded rendering engine as they've built a new interface, new maps, gameplay mode adjustments and a whole lot more you can read about here.
- A completely free arena shooter. No fees, no microtransactions.
- Fun for everyone, young and old, noob or expert.
- Cross platform across Linux, macOS and Windows.
- Parkour, impulse boosts, dashing, and other tricks.
- A huge amount of mutators and game altering variables.
- Create maps with other players in realtime co-op edit.
It remains open source too, so anyone can check it out and contribute towards making it better.
Want an early copy to play and help test? Good news, we have a bunch of keys to throw at you provided by the developer! This is your chance to help make this shooter have a great release.
Grab a key
You must be logged in to grab a key, your account must also be older than one day!
You can follow it on Steam for release on December 19. You can also try it now with the older classic version on the official site. You can also join their Discord Channel to chat with the developers and community.