Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.

Every so often we like to have a chat with our readers, and find out what you've been really getting into lately on Linux.

Since the UK is currently in lockdown, I've been spending some extra time with the mini-me since school is out and I've been trying out everything they're into. This has involved, unsurprisingly, a lot of Minecraft since it's an accessible game. We've recently discovered a few communities than run huge servers, and each have a ton of mini-games. One such mini-game is Bed Wars, and it's actually quite a lot of fun.

Each team spawns on their own little island, giving you time to protect your Bed which acts as your spawn point. Lose your bed, no more re-spawning and it's the last team standing. It can get really quite tense actually! When you're busy gathering material from your team Summoner, to turn around and spot an opposing team quickly building a bridge over to your island and suddenly panic sets in. I've been trying it out on TheHive server, which seems to work well.

I also consider myself something of a Dragon Ball super fan, so I finally caved in and picked up a personal copy of DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT (Humble Store / Steam) and I must admit my intense surprise at just how flawless it runs in the latest Proton 5.0-5 for Steam Play.

Like the HUD in the top left? That's the brilliant MangoHud covered here on GOL a few times now.

As you can see above, performance is fluid with it on max settings. It's actually a little ridiculous how easy gaming on Linux has become. Now I just need to work on my reflexes for such a fast game…I'm not usually one for fighters like it.

So GOL readers over to you: what have you been gaming on Linux lately and what are you thoughts on it? Let us know in the comments.

Tags: Misc

stud68 6 April 2020 at 9:46 am UTC
Not had a lot of time to play since the lockdown. Been extremely busy driving my truck delivering food and supplies around the country.
But I have managed to squeeze in a few hours of DOOM Eternal. Runs sweet on 5700XT.
I have tried Half Life Alyx but performance is not great and stutters a little so gonna wait with that one.
Kohrias 6 April 2020 at 10:46 am UTC
Arten
Kohrias
ArtenAshes of the Singularity, i'm transhumanist who love RTS, so... this game is perfect for me. I only wish for another story DLC...

What Proton version and settings do you use to get Ashes of the Singularity running? Nvidia or AMD video card?
Proton 4.2-9 with AMD NAVI and DirectX 11 renderer. Without esync and with ACO. Right now, i don't have any issues with it.

Thank you! Works for me as well. Finally I can start playing it
herc 6 April 2020 at 11:31 am UTC
Vishar
hercThe few hours I've managed to squeeze in have been put into the demo of Project: Gorgon (Steam). It's an MMORPG that doesn't hold your hand and you need to pay attention when it comes to questing. I love it so far and I will probably buy it within the next week.

The reason I found out about it is because someone mentioned they put over 1500 hours into it last time you did one of these "What have you been playing".

Welcome and now it more than 1700h at my side

Yes, I still playing it and still can recommended it to all 'old shool MMO' fans

Wildermyth and Urtuk - The Desolation are sometimes run too

It was you! Now I know who to ask all the stupid questions xD
einherjar 6 April 2020 at 11:52 am UTC
* X4: Foundations
That is, where I sink a lot of hours into. It is really a great game. Sadly, they released it a year to early and ruined their reputation a bit.
I bought Split Vendetta also, but I don't know much about it yet. The Split ships look great and they are quite aggressiv. This alone makes the game even more interesting.
I am wondering a bit, that so few Linuxers seem to play it, as egosoft does a good Linux support and the game is great.

* Elder Scrolls Online
I tried this with my son. It is not really my game. It is kinda boring IMHO. Perhaps I give it another try.
But a real story game in coop with a 13 year old is something I did not find yet.

* CS:GO
Always something I like to play. But since the player count rose so much, the Death Match is often stuttering.

* Plague Inc.
Nice one to play in coop. Always good for an hour of fun.

Last edited by einherjar on 6 April 2020 at 11:55 am UTC
tmtvl 6 April 2020 at 11:58 am UTC
einherjar* X4: Foundations

I've got X4, however... the required specs are absolutely bonkers, so I'm probably not going to be able to play it anywhere in the next 5-10 years.
kusochi 6 April 2020 at 12:14 pm UTC
I have played the Wolfenstein-themed mod for Doom called Blade of Agony. It is honestly my favourite Wolfenstein game even if it isn't official and can be run with FOSS GZDoom! Only two first chapters has been released so far, but I do recommend it if you haven't played it yet.
riusma 6 April 2020 at 1:52 pm UTC
Left 4 Dead 2 with a few friends (Linux & Windows)... lockdown thematically respected!
namiko 6 April 2020 at 3:47 pm UTC
F.UltraThe Blackwell games are all awesome, never got any of the achievements to unlock in the Linux version unfortunately.
Neither did I, but they're in-game too, so it'll have to do...
F.Ultra 6 April 2020 at 3:49 pm UTC
TobyGornow- Final Fantasy XV on XBOX one : I hate it and I just want to finish it because it's a FF and I'm a fan. Lots and lots of FedEx quests, first half of the story is not engaging, no challenge caused by exp gain balancing, weak main characters. Apart from the beautifully crafted world and dungeon, It's the worst final fantasy I've played.

That's what I call dedication :-) !!
Patola 6 April 2020 at 3:49 pm UTC
tmtvl
einherjar* X4: Foundations

It is a deep simulation game. Every timeslice they must recalculate the entire universe's economy. So it requires not only a good GPU for the amazing graphics, but a powerful multicore CPU for the processing power.