You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!

Viking strategy game Northgard arrives on GOG with a discount

In Northgard you take control of a clan, trying to try to settle new lands while dealing with all the other clans also wanting riches. It added Linux support on Steam back in 2018 and now it's also finally available on GOG.com.

Features:

• Build your settlement on the newly discovered continent of Northgard
  • Assign your vikings to various jobs (Farmer, Warrior, Sailor, Loremaster...)
  • Manage your resources carefully and survive harsh winters and vicious foes
  • Expand and discover new territory with unique strategic opportunities
  • Achieve different victory conditions (Conquest, Fame, Lore, Trading...)

The GOG release comes with a major caveat for Linux gamers though, as the multiplayer depends on the GOG Galaxy Client which GOG still don't support on Linux. So if you want multiplayer, you need to stick with Steam. There is an absolute ton of single-player content though but it's still not great to see.

I've enjoyed a lot of time in it and I think it's a genuinely good strategy game. It's a real shame about the multiplayer.

Now you have more choice on where to pick up and play Northgard with GOG.com with a 50% discount plus Humble Store and Steam as before.

STiAT 21 May 2020 at 10:22 pm UTC
I love the game setting, but has something similar to a moba, a game mode I higly dislike.

The game is well done, the linux support great. I loved the hours I played it, but it's not for me it seems.
vv221 22 May 2020 at 2:02 am UTC

Sorry Shiro Games, but you are not going to see my money. A shame, because it looks like a nice game I could have enjoyed.
14 22 May 2020 at 4:49 am UTC
It took too long before it came to GOG, so I already own it on Steam. Sounds like I sadly wouldn't have bought it on GOG anyway since I got it for co-op.

Last edited by 14 on 22 May 2020 at 4:50 am UTC
Pangaea 22 May 2020 at 7:45 am UTC
Yuck. The "optional" client that (thankfully) doesn't exist for Linux.

Not that I'd play MP anyway as I prefer SP games, but I dislike to see the direction GOG is heading in, and how they keep pushing the bloatware client in various means (not necessarily like with this game).

Looks like a nice game. May pick it up, but not right now.
einherjar 22 May 2020 at 7:51 am UTC
vv221So if I want to buy the DRM-free version, I am expected to pay the full price but get only the single player content?

It always seems kinda weird to me, when a Linuxer gamer complains like that.
1. your are just one gamer in a small niche (about 0,86% according to steam)

--> be thankful, that there is a well made Linux port and buy on steam would be my recommendation.
If the majority of Linuxgamers would act like you, there would just be even less (or nearly no) games for Linux.

And whom has to "shame" and why?

Last edited by einherjar on 22 May 2020 at 7:53 am UTC
TobiSGD 22 May 2020 at 8:33 pm UTC
einherjar2. in this niche, you represent another niche: "Must be Linux" AND "must be DRM free on GOG"

And whom has to "shame" and why?
For me it is more about the utter hypocrisy of GOG, claiming to be all about being DRM-free, while developing a client for their platform that only supports operating systems that wouldn't even know how to spell DRM-free.
So, to answer your question, if anybody should be ashamed, it is GOG for the reasons I just described.
Cyril 23 May 2020 at 6:23 pm UTC
This kind of situation is indeed pretty complicated from my point of view. I'm usually a DRM-Free "zealot", but there I understand the two arguments. Seriously, some guys don't care having DRM on their games, some refuse them, but we wouldn't have to chose between DRM-Free and multiplayer.
Let's agree on this guys...

Last edited by Cyril on 23 May 2020 at 6:24 pm UTC