Another wonderful classic free and open source game had a fresh update recently. This time it's Naev, a game inspired by the classic Escape Velocity.
Naev is an open-world space trading and combat game, giving you the freedom to explore space and do pretty much anything you want. The first Beta of Naev 0.8.0 is out now, which is the first major release in around three years so naturally it includes a lot of changes.
Highlights of Naev 0.8.0:
- Simple economy model implemented
- Missiles and fighter bays reload while in space
- Added asteroids and mining
- Improved player GUI + Brushed GUI is now the default
- Improved and fixed escort system
- New and/or improved missions
- Autonav can now follow ships
- Shaders to 'speed up and improve graphics'
- Translation support
Wonderful to see another free and open source game continue to expand. It already has quite a lot of content but it's still far for being a finished game which they make clear on the Steam page. There's no expected time for them to finish it either, as is the case with a lot of open source games it's a hobby project for the people who work on it. Since it's open source though, anyone can help.