Coming up on a year since the original release, Children of Morta from developer Dead Mage and publisher 11 bit studios has now formally added Linux support.
Children of Morta is an action RPG with a rogue-lite approach to character development, where you don’t play a single character - but a whole, extraordinary family of heroes. Hack’n’slash through hordes of enemies in procedurally generated dungeons, caves and lands and lead the family of Bergsons, with all their flaws and virtues, against the forthcoming Corruption.
For an overview, check out the feature highlight trailer below:
In the update announcement, they mentioned this:
We have some great news for our Linux community, too! It took us some time - but we've finally managed to add Linux to the list of supported systems! If you're using Ubuntu 16.04+ the game should run just fine but we highly recommend Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (or any newer version than that).
The Linux version comes along with a free Treasure Pack update to the main game, which adds in new content. Additionally, a new paid charity DLC is out with Children of Morta: Paws and Claws that will see 100% of the proceeds going to the Humane Society International charity, whose main mission is to help animals all over the world. Paws and Claws adds in these new features:
- Animal Shelter system - adds a whole new section of the house!
- A herd of varied animals will visit the family’s house - deer, fox, birds, and more.
- New mechanic - use treats to feed animals and look after them.
- New special animal-related boosts (XP Gain, Movement Speed, and more) available for the Bergsons.
- New home interactive events
- More than 100 new animations, big and small, showing you the life of your new animal friends!
As of right now, the Steam purchase on Linux results in an empty download, as they forgot to add Steam store purchases to the Linux content depot on Steam. This is an error many developers make, which we wrote about previously. We've let them know to fix it soon hopefully. Will update when it's fixed. Updated: fixed.
We'll be taking a good look at it soon. Really great to see another crowdfunded title deliver on more of its promises.