9 Monkeys of Shaolin is an upcoming beat 'em up from Sobaka Studio, what they claim will mark the "true rebirth of the iconic beat 'em up genre in vein of old-school video games".
We've been waiting on this for quite some time now after being announced back in 2018. They've now confirmed it will see a release on October 16. Check out the brand new trailer:
When speaking to the developer initially on Twitter, they mentioned that the date should include Linux too but they would be making a special update on it later. However, a few days later they reached out to us at GOL directly to chat about it and go through more details. After a chat and some initial testing done, they mentioned to us they can say it will "definitely" release on Linux. I can also tell you the combat felt really good but not much more than that for now.
- 3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy on your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to the master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from every scene appears on screen.
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and many more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.
You can follow it on Steam.