Golden Krone Hotel is an approachable, easy to understand and thoroughly underrated roguelike that you should check out. Especially now, with a big update out that overhauls lots.
A gothic horror roguelike, one where you fight vampires with sunlight or become a vampire yourself and sneak in the shadows. It has a fun setting and the approachable mechanics also make it a really great roguelike for playing on coffee breaks.
Some of what's new includes:
- Graphical improvements: individual potion icons, wall shadows, rounded corners on water/lava, several new sprites, hovering animations for flying monsters, and more
- A complete disguise rework that gives each disguise a Special property
- 3 new disguises: Bombardier, Ice Mage, and Commander
- New branches: MENAGERIE and ICE HOUSE
- A new Weekly challenge mode
- New Monsters (something about Yetis, Tigers and …Bears?)
- Speedrun and seed support
- AI pathfinding improvements - Charm is much more usable
- More sounds, bug fixes, and secrets...
For a traditional feeling roguelike, it's probably one of my favourites. Crazy to see it still being so overlooked, with less than 200 user reviews on Steam it's madness. It's absolutely charming, with the ability to play with tiles like pictured above or even in ASCII mode too. Golden Krone Hotel makes a lot of things mechanically easy too, like equipment swapping - it either swaps for better or sells it whenever you find a new weapon. However, Golden Krone Hotel is not easy. It's challenging even on Easy.