NVIDIA have produced a brand new stable Linux driver with version 455.28, which adds in new GPU support and there's plenty of fixes for us too.
This is a proper mainline stable driver, so it should be good for anyone to upgrade with. A lot of this is coming over from previous Beta releases.
With this new 455.28 driver it sees official Linux support for the GeForce RTX 3080, GeForce RTX 3090 and the GeForce MX450. That's not all that was added. In this release they hooked up support for a new device-local VkMemoryType which is host-coherent and host-visible, which they said may lead to better performance for running certain titles with the DXVK translation layer like DiRT Rally 2.0, DOOM: Eternal and World of Warcraft. It also adds NVIDIA VDPAU driver support for decoding VP9 10- and 12-bit bitstreams.
Additionally they updated Base Mosaic support to allow five simultaneous displays instead of three, it now supports the NVIDIA NGX Updater, SLI Mosaic display configuration got its own dedicated place in the nvidia-settings app, they removed multiple SLI modes including "SFR", "AFR", and "AA" but SLI Mosaic, Base Mosaic, GL_NV_gpu_multicast, and GLX_NV_multigpu_context are still supported.
Plenty of bug fixes are included too, here's a list:
- Fixed a bug that caused X to crash when the NVIDIA RandR provider was disabled while using an NVIDIA-driven display as a PRIME Display Offload sink.
- Fixed a bug that prevented 8K displays from being used in portrait orientation on Pascal and earlier GPUs.
- Fixed a bug which caused excessive CPU usage in Vulkan applications which create a large number of VkFence objects. This was particularly prevalent in the Steam Play title Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Fixed a bug that caused WebKit-based applications to crash when running on Wayland.
- Fixed a bug that led to display corruption at some resolutions when using an NVIDIA-driven display as a PRIME Display Offload sink.
- Fixed a bug in a SPIR-V optimization that may cause conditional blocks to not execute.
- Fixed a bug where calls to vkGetRandROutputDisplayEXT with unexpected inputs would generate X11 protocol errors.
- Fixed a small memory leak during exit of the NVIDIA EGL driver.
- Fixed several synchronization bugs that could momentarily lock up the X server when moving/resizing/focusing OpenGL and Vulkan windows when PRIME Sync was enabled.
- Fixed a bug that could cause dual-link DVI to be driven over a connector that only supports single-link DVI, when "NoMaxPClkCheck" is specified in the "ModeValidation" X configuration option. Note this fix may cause behavioral changes for configurations using this option.
- Fixed a bug where glGetGraphicsResetStatusARB would incorrectly return GL_PURGED_CONTEXT_RESET_NV immediately after application start-up if the system had previously been suspended.
- Fixed a regression that allowed displays to enter DPMS mode even when DPMS is disabled in the X server settings.
The release announcement can be found here.