You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!

It was only recently that we picked up the news of both GTA III and Vice City getting a fully working reverse engineered game engine, along with plenty of upgrades. Sadly, and expectedly, it got nuked from orbit.

Even though it required you to own the game assets, so you would have needed to purchase a copy of either to use the re3 and reVC game reimplementations that wasn't enough to satisfy Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., the parent company of Rockstar Games. They've now given it the DMCA treatment, with the main repository and all known forks at the time to be taken offline on GitHub.

Sad but fully expected. Big publishers really don't like these sorts of projects, even though they can help revive their older games and perhaps even get them more sales. Copyright and Intellectual Property Rights are a legal minefield at the best of times, so the only way we may get this treatment in future is a fully clean-room reimplementation more like OpenMW for Morrowind or OpenRA for classic Westwood RTS games.

Perhaps now someone can pick up OpenRW again.

Tags: Game Engine, Misc
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.

pb 4 days ago
Quoting: LibertyPaulMSaw this one coming. I hope Github doesn't get hate for this like they did with Youtube-dl. Github are not to blame for this, they have no choice but to comply with the awful DMCA

I wonder how this one will end.

Last edited by pb on 22 February 2021 at 1:13 pm UTC
vipor29 4 days ago
saw this coming a mile away.there using stuff within the project that are copyrighted.i am suprised noone picked up on that.they were warned by people to fix those issues but they ignored it.

Last edited by vipor29 on 22 February 2021 at 2:47 pm UTC
Baker 4 days ago
Big corporations being pathetic yet again... No good reason to take this down
wytrabbit 4 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
QuoteNot in active development anymore; Superseded by re3

RIP

Last edited by wytrabbit on 22 February 2021 at 2:56 pm UTC
rustybroomhandle 4 days ago

Remember when Microsoft tried to legally poopoo* the Samba project, but then later agreed to help them by providing spec docs?

* not a legal term
whizse 4 days ago
Quoting: rustybroomhandleThis is a weird one. I might be talking out my ass here, but DMCA is for copyright, and as far as I know, reverse engineered efforts like this usually do not use any of the original code and you still need to buy the original game for the assets. So it does not violate any copyright.
As mentioned in the article, this did not seem to be a clean room reverse engineering effort. I think Rockstar might very well claim copyright.
slaapliedje 4 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: mirvIf it was a clean-room implementation there wouldn't be as much of a problem, however this was reverse engineered directly from the binaries it seems. That's a bit more of an issue as far as countries with dmca style laws go.
There was a point in time where reverse engineering was perfectly legal. I'm not sure if it is at this point. But for the most part there has to be some form of being able to read the data files to be able to recreate the game, and the term reverse engineering could technically be pinned to that. Pretty sure they weren't full on creating the engine through such means, were they?

I think the 'brings more sales' argument is shot down by sales, as they'd rather sell you new games instead of people being able to buy cheap old games. Plus with it being opened, they're afraid new content will be created for the old games, again hampering sales of new games.

Basically anti-consumer, pro-company thoughts.
popsulfr 4 days ago
This is unfortunate.

All this aside, it blew me away to get Vice City running on my Raspberry Pi 400

reVC on Raspberry Pi 400

1024x576 running at 20-25 fps, The framerate seems more stable by forcing GLES instead of OpenGL (just by commenting out the OpenGL profiles in the code).

Very cool!
EagleDelta 4 days ago

So, that's no actually true. I'll have to dig up the appropriate video, but a particular Business Lawyer clarified the DMCA provisions relating to takedowns. There is no requirement to takedown content from a DMCA request. All that provision does is protect the platform owner from liability on both sides. Basically, it protects hosts from being "caught in the middle" of a copyright dispute and facing a lawsuit from the organization requesting the takedown and from the users affected by the takedown.

But, as can be seen with a recent copyright case between Cox Communications and Sony Music, if a company doesn't actually comply with the DMCA takedown, they lose the immunity to lawsuits.... making them liable for an infringement by their users.
scratchi 4 days ago
Quoting: popsulfrThis is unfortunate.

All this aside, it blew me away to get Vice City running on my Raspberry Pi 400

reVC on Raspberry Pi 400

Very cool!

Nice! I want to give it a try now, can you zip up the code and upload it somewhere? Please help :)

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!