You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!

There's no stopping the Viking invasion as Valheim hits 3 million sales

Valheim has truly become an absolute runaway hit. A survival game about Vikings running around in co-op chopping down trees and facing off against big bosses.

Less than three weeks since the Early Access release, Iron Gate announced today that it's now sold three million copies. This is just absurd but it's genuinely well deserved. This isn't some AAA or even AA team with a huge budget, Iron Gate is a tiny team backed up by Coffee Stain Publishing.

The team shared some other records they've managed to hit recently too including over 60,000 user reviews with an Overwhelmingly Positive rating, they're now doing so well they're rising up the Steam Top 250 and it has been one of the most popular games on Twitch lately too. There's just no stopping it.

A lot more content is planned for the game too, some of which PC Gamer managed to get from the developer after a recent interview. New content will include more objects to build homes with, new exploration encounters, ship customization and a more fleshed out ocean, new biomes and so on. Quite a bit to be excited about!

At this point, you don't really need me to recommend you go and buy it do you? Well, you should. It is a huge amount of fun and the majority of my time has been spent alone in solo because it's been fun to discover all the secrets of the world. Being able to take your character online to whatever server you want is a big bonus too, just try not to die.

Seems to have caused a surge for LinuxGSM too, the really great tool for managing game servers. Going by their stats we can see Valheim is now the most popular game being hosted with their kit with over 750 servers live.

Have you been enjoying Valheim? Be sure to show us your great constructions in the comments, we would love to see what you've been building.

With full Linux support you can buy Valheim on Steam.

We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.
Page: «3/3

CanadianBlueBeer 5 days ago
I find it highly addictive, almost like the "just one more turn..." in Civ.

26hrs, have the first boss done, doing the bronze upgrades...
mining is a chore to be sure... I thought the default 7DTD storage was bad..

However, there are hilarious parts, bashing a skeleton and watching the bones
go flipping end over end in all directions..

The physics.. George of the Jungle. Watch out for that... Treeeee... ouch!
Chain reactions on trees is fun.

For $20 it's a good buy, and it works great in 4k res in linux.

Did crash once so far. (hard lockup, alt-f1 to do a kill -9 on it, middle of stream)
oopsie!

Graphics are low res, but remember, FTL has low res graphics too.
Fun game though.

What I find amusing too, is you can world/seed hop with your char, and move stuff between them.

(so yes, found the trader seed online, once you get there, sell/buy, logout, go to main world.
need the trader again, login to that world, and you are standing right there. cheesy, yes.
Handy, good gods yes)

btw, I blame GOL for this, just like 7DTD. (3400hrs in 3 years ...)
:D

So, TL;DR it's worth a 20.
(plus tax of course)
;p
marvtowel 5 days ago
QuoteI assume it runs under Vulkan as when starting you get a menu choice to start the game or start under OpenGL.

I don't see a difference and mangohud doesn't show. Vulkan doesn't seem to be working for me.
hummer010 5 days ago
I went through this with Kerbal Space Program. I had ~100 hours into it before the final version released, and now, I've never played the final version.

I bought Valheim, and I've started playing it, but I'm not going to binge it like I did with KSP until it's done.
VdoP a day ago
I stumbled upon this game via this article. Now my wife, five of my friends and me are a viking group (3 Linux, 4 Windows) in valheim. There's no revolution of the survival gameplay, but all the usual edges making survival not-fun are covered here.
Akonady a day ago
Death to Early Acess games!!!
WorMzy a day ago
Four million and counting...

Last edited by WorMzy on 24 February 2021 at 6:07 pm UTC
scaine a day ago
  • Contributing Editor
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: AkonadyDeath to Early Acess games!!!

Nah, when they're done well, it's a great experience. You just have to look in the right places, use a bit of judgement. And if you're still not sold... fine. They don't affect you if you want to wait for the finished product.
drlamb a day ago

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

2560x1440, Maxed out graphics minus Depth of field, chromatic aberration, and motion blur.

Watch on Youtube

Last edited by drlamb on 25 February 2021 at 4:23 pm UTC
slaapliedje about 24 hours ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: drlambAdding the following to the boot.config file within the valheim_Data folder results in the following performance uplift. OpenGL still performs better than vulkan for me.

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

Watch on Youtube
I've whined before, but will again. People are like 'but you're spoiled!' Whatever, I like to be able to play full screen and NOT have the giant window title bar push the bottom of the screen off so I can't see everything, and having a super ultrawide monitor with a giant grey line across the top is very immersive breaking...

I'll stop whining like I stopped playing until it's fixed ha.

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!