Warzone 2100 is getting an absolutely massive 4.0 release soon and a second Beta is out now with plenty of bug fixes to polish up this excellent free and open source RTS. Warzone 2100 was originally developed by Pumpkin Studios and published by Eidos Interactive, released as open source in 2004 and the legacy of it continues on as a completely free game. To this day it's still one of the most innovative RTS games around.
The 4.0 upgrade is a huge one with support for newer OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal and DirectX as they overhauled the rendering which is in addition to already supporting OpenGL 3.0+ Core Profile (default), OpenGL 2.1 Compatibility Profile. This can easily be changed in the Video Options.
The second Beta isn't particularly exciting compared to the first but since it's such a ridiculously big release, it needs a lot more players to test it.
Here's what else is new in Warzone 2100 4.0:
- New "Factions" for multiplayer / skirmish
- Higher-res terrain textures, backdrops
- New Music Manager, + AlexTheDacian's new soundtrack album
- Support for "script-generated" / "random" maps (and two new built-in maps that take advantage of this: 6p-Entropy and 10p-Waterloop)
- Scrollable room chat, and many other UI / widget improvements
- Updated / smarter AI bots (Bonecrusher, Cobra)
- New "headless" mode (for --autogame, --autohost, --skirmish)
- JS API enhancements, + a new "Script Debugger"
- Removal of Qt as a dependency, + a new embedded JS engine: QuickJS
- Quality-of-Life / smoothness improvements
- Hundreds of bug fixes
See the release announcement here.