From developer Event Horizon (Tower of Time), Dark Envoy is a non-linear "sci-fantasy" RPG set in a world shaken by the dichotomy between magic and technology. Originally announced back in 2019 it's been delayed a little, like a lot of things have over the last year or so but the developer has released a brand new trailer to show off the visual style and a little of the action.
Playable solo or in two play co-op, you travel the world using a Skyship as your base of operations, with the world of Jäan shifting and changing over time. So where you go is supposed to impact as much as when you arrive there - sounds like it's going to be a game to play through multiple times. Check out the new trailer:
Founded in 2016, Event Horizon set off on a mission to develop memorable RPGs. They've since grown to 20 people after Tower of Time from 2018. Looks like Dark Envoy has much higher production values with motion-captured animation, scenic locations and all available in 4K. The good news is they still plan full Linux support too.
What else to expect from it:
- Story Quests, Side-Quests, and Optional Shape-Shifting Dungeons — In addition to the bespoke main and side-quests, there are dungeons where the layouts and enemy patrol routes shift each time you enter
- Crew Your Airship With Companions — Recruit characters such as a Moon-Elf assassin, quirky engineer, ex-Imperial soldier, renowned Elven mercenary, and more
- Real-Time Combat — Tactics and your chosen companions are equally important in a combat system you can slow down and pause
- 4 Base Classes and 16 Specializations — Discover rare, hidden classes which can only be found in remote locations or through special quests
- Authentic RPG Systems — Experiment and adapt to your playstyle: Mix skill trees, boost individual abilities, and take advantage of an expansive crafting system featuring research and enchantment
- The World of Jäan — Rich, complex lore and narrative with mature writing that shapes the sci-fantasy world of Jäan, which features 15 different biomes that introduce a variety of gameplay mechanics
- Non-Linear RPG Narrative — Player choices impact the world: it can be destroyed or saved, and the stories that unfold will lead to multiple endings reflecting the characters’ personalities and decisions
We've been told there's going to be a lot more to show in the "very near future", so keep your eyes peeled ready.