Another wonderful open source game engine reimplementation has a major upgrade. OpenRCT2 is a modern game engine for playing RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and it just got better.
Just as a reminder though, this is not exactly the vanilla experience. The team on the project has made lots of small and some bigger improvements to make the game feel a little more modern. Including an enhanced Track Designer with ability to add/remove scenery and footpaths, the Track Designer has a pause button now, there's a new single-rail roller coaster, terrain surfaces from RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 are now supported, lots of plugin improvements and new API additions, and lots more including plenty of bug fixes to improve the experience further.
Release 0.3.4 "One, two, five!" is live bringing multiple new features including:
- Track List window now displays the path to the design when debugging tools are on.
- “Vandals stopped” statistic for security guards.
- Lighting effects for shops and stalls.
- Allow using early scenario completion in multiplayer.
- [Plugin] Add property for getting current plugin api version.
- [Plugin] Add properties related to guest generation.
- [Plugin] Add properties related to climate and weather.
- Opaque water (like in RCT1).
- [Plugin] Rename Object to LoadedObject to fix conflicts with Typescript's Object interface.
- [Plugin] Rename ListView to ListViewWidget to make it consistent with names of other widgets.
- “No construction above tree height” limitation now allows placing high trees.
- Redesign the About window, including new button to copy the current version info.
You can find OpenRCT2 here and to make it easy they have pre-built versions for Linux like an AppImage to run cross-distro. You also need to grab the required data files from RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 by buying a copy of the original on GOG or Steam.