Multiple updates to community-built versions of Proton and Wine, along with a very interesting bit of software to help you upgrade Proton GE called ProtonUp.
If you're not clear on what Proton and Steam Play are, be sure to check out our constantly updated dedicated page. It's a special compatibility layer for running Windows games and apps from Steam on Linux. Proton GE is not affiliated with Valve/Steam, it also has less quality assurance versus the official Proton but often ends up with special game-specific fixes quicker.
We recently covered the huge Proton 6.13 GE-1 release that added in AMD FSR and NVIDIA Resizeable BAR and just recently another two releases went up. Here's what you can get in the latest Proton 6.14 GE-2:
- Issue with uplay services not connecting fixed from upstream wine
- FFXIV launcher certificate popup box spam fixed from upstream wine
- EVE Online launcher issue fixed from upstream wine
- Added d3dx11_42 protonfix for Metro 2033 (thanks lukashoracek!)
- Added d3dcompiler protonfix for L.A.Noire (thanks manueliglesiasgarcia!)
- Added d3dcompiler protonfix for HighFleet (thanks Alistair Leslie-Hughes!)
- Fixed shutil missing from protonfixes which broke set_ini_options (thanks djazz!)
- Added Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 fixes from proton
- Re-added revert for 97afac469fbe012e22acc1f1045c88b1004a241f which breaks controllers in some unity games (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51277)
- dxvk updated
- vkd3d updated
- wine and wine-staging updated to 6.14
As a reminder, if you didn't see it, as of a recent version of Proton GE you may need to remove current game prefixes setup by it to allow the games to work properly. More on that in the previous article with instructions on how to do so.
How to install Proton GE? Well, usually we would give you this quick how-to:
- Download the Proton-6.14-GE-2.tar.gz file from the release notes.
- If this folder does not exist, create it:
- Extract the archive downloaded in Step 1, and place the contents into the above directory.
- Restart Steam if it's open which refreshes the Steam Play list for Proton-6.14-GE-2 to show up.
- Right click on your game, go to Properties, Compatibility and ensure the box is ticked named "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" then select it from the dropdown box that appears.
However, what if there's a better way? Introducing ProtonUp! It's a CLI (command-line / terminal) program to help you quickly install, update and remove versions of Proton GE. It's really quick to install and only needs you to set where you store custom Steam Play compatibility layer installs, then it's a single
protonup command to update to the latest - nice!
Did you also know that the developer, Thomas "GloriousEggroll" Crider, also produces customised Wine GE builds for use with the game manager Lutris with all their enhancements and fixes? The latest is Wine-6.14-GE-2, which includes all the major bits from the recent Proton GE releases including AMD FSR. Installing Wine GE is simple enough too, you just need to download a release file and extract it into the Lutris runner location: